"siesta period" during light cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am reading one of Peter Hisocks' books, and in it he recommends a "siesta period" of lights out during your photo period, laying claims it helps in the battle against algae. Supposedly, plants can stop and start photosynthesis easily, whereas algae can not and will have trouble living if you break their light cycle for a couple of hours in the middle of the day...

Anyone doing this technique, and can you say if it works?

I did this for several months. I did not notice a reduction in algae and it seems to me, my plants are doing better now that I have switched back to a straight 10 hour lighting period.

i just recently STOPED doing this and am hoping the one 10 hour photoperiod will help in my fight with staghorn algae

Same here, it makes sense on paper. I to did the siesta thing for a couple of months, didn't make any difference in the reduction of algea. I to am doing 10 hrs of strait lighting, things are better all around.

The light detection pigment and pathway is pretty much the same for Cyanobacteria, algae and plants, so biochemically, I see not evidence that this theory holds any water.

Additionally, having done the method and measuring the CO2 levels, you can see the CO2 rise back up after the lights shut off.

Most algae is induce by CO2 shortage or large swings in the CO2 levels(if you use CO2 gas etc). So reducing the CO2 demand for a little while can help the plants, but that does not address the "cure", which are good stable CO2 levels.

Algae could care less, they have ample CO2 and are very good at getting enough, the plants are not so lucky.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rich311k said:
I did this for several months. I did not notice a reduction in algae and it seems to me, my plants are doing better now that I have switched back to a straight 10 hour lighting period.

This is exactly my experience.

I had plenty of algae when I did the siesta. My plants are more healthy now that I've stopped doing it and (probably due to other reasons) I have an algae free tank now.

I don't know that it helps algae, and others have posted ample anecdotal and scientific evidence that it doesn't. But I understood that a major reason to do this was for "viewing".

IE, I leave my house for work at 6.30 am. I get home about 6 pm. If I want to look at my fish both in the morning and in the evening, I either need an insane photoperiod, or a "siesta" period. Or some kind of moonlighting setup.

IE, I leave my house for work at 6.30 am. I get home about 6 pm. If I want to look at my fish both in the morning and in the evening, I either need an insane photoperiod, or a "siesta" period. Or some kind of moonlighting setup.

Yes, this has also crossed my mind... But the unanimous decision around here, based on all of the responses (all from people whose opinion I highly respect) leaves me no choice but to opt for no siesta...

Well, the original hypothesis was that it helps address algae issues, not viewing pleasure, the plants are adapted to deal with wide ranging light conditions, but do best when their light is about 10 hours long straight through.

If you want to look at the fish, set the timer to see them later in the day, the last 4 hours of lighting should be when you are home. Seeing them in the morning is not a big deal, just feed them and go to work etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

FWIW, I like to look at my fish in the morning as I tie my shoes and head out the door. I turn on a small part of my lights (1/3) in the AM to acomodate this. The full nuke lighting comes in for just 10 hours (noon to 10pm).

My nano tank sits on my nightstand, its lights kicking on are my alarm clock. It is funny how the fish will sit and watch me in bed. If I don't get up soon enough the Scarlet Badis gets all agitated..as if to say get your lazy butt up and feed me.

Siesta never helped me.

But Peter Hiscocks book is still a good one. at the time he wrote it, the siesta thing was kind of popular, but un-proven. That was before people like Tom Barr were widely known on the plant scene as well.

I also read where the siesta helps control the algae and am currently doing a siesta period during mid-day. I still have a severe green algae problem, so I'm not seeing much success with it either. I may go back to 10 straight hours. Does anyone know if having the siesta is adverse for the plants? One of you mentioned your plants do better with 10 straight hours. Anyone with different resuts?

Well, like most things that claim to help algae and don't, they seldom have any bad effects on the plants.

Then you no longer have faith based marketing of your product if it kills the plants:)

Generally, such advice does not help the plants, nor hurt them much, and guess what?
Same deal for the algae.

You can measure the CO2 though and see that it does allow for a little bouch back effect and the CO2 ppm goes up if you keep it on during that time.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom