Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i recently bought plants at mah plant store and they must have had snalis on them cuz now i have at least 7 of them crawling around mah 29 gallon tank. About a centimeater long each, and brown spiral shells. Should i be woried about my plants, fish, or anything else like them over populating the tank. Will my angle fish eat them or any thing cuz i think i read somthing like that online.

I got some snails on some plants too, and they were ramshorn snails. My BGK decided he liked how they tasted, so the ones in there got eaten, but I have one in my 10G, and he is a good cleaner! And if they are fed, they grow FAST, and can get to about an inch. I don't believe they eat plants, except maybe the dead parts. Keep your eye out for eggs though, and you can probably google what they look like. :)

Just an FYI, those type of snails do not need another to lay eggs and fertilize them. They are able to do it all by themselves. I had one come with my undulata plant because I had no idea I was able to rinse off new plants before putting them in my tank. I had never bought one before. Sure enough one ramshorn came with it. He climbed into my filter and laid about 30 eggs. After a week I started noticing a bunch of tiny shelled snails everywhere. I only have platy's and guppies in my tank but one of which decided they liked the taste and help me get rid of them. I also pick them out and throw them outside to die. (Yes it sounds mean but if they get in the drain, it is possible for them to live and breed there) The stores also sell snail traps that you can put in the tank to catch them. But I have read the easiest way to get them out is to put a peice of vegetable in the tank after you shut the lights off for the night and in the morning pull it out before turning on the light and a bunch of them should be attached. The ones in my tank have eaten some of my leaves but not enough to really notice. They do eat alot of the algae but will overrun your tank before you know it. So your best bet is to remove them any way possible. Don't just leave them.

Well, my ramshorn has been in the tank for about 2 months now, and I have seen no eggs. I wonder if there is a male and a female, and this one just happens to be male? He is about an inch tall.

I had one trumpet snail in my tank for about a month before I started seeing babies everywhere...I naively felt bad about killing it. I have been trying to pick them out as soon as they get big enough for me to grab, but there are just so many of them! I haven't seen any plant damage, but they seem to be monopolizing the algae tablets so I don't know if my cories and otos are getting enough to eat. I tried the vegetable method and I only caught a few that way.

I have HUNDREDS of MTS in my tank, and I will never have another one without them. :) They are the best cleaners, and they really don't eat much. If your cories and oto's are hungry, they will get the wafer. I have them in with my mystery snail also, which is ALOT slower than the fish, and when she wants the wafer, she just runs them over haha!

+1 on the MTS and the rest of dkpate's advice. MTS do such a spectacular job of cleaning my sand that I don't even vacuum it most of the time. I will probably never go back to gravel and I won't have a sand tank without MTS. I actually started with one MTS and now I have thousands.

I keep MTS in every tank even my BB tanks, however I got a pond snail problem from a vendor on ebay, swore no snails now my 100 dollar plant package is about dead and I even got a 500 dollar pressurized system on this tank.

I have 6 assassins in there but they cant keep up, I can see egg sacs all over the place. I dipped them in PP when I got the plants, ten did a 48 hour alum dip on top of the PP....I am just about ready to cut my losses and nuke the tank(no fish reside in it just assassins and now pond snails)

any help would be appreciated, I can stand the MTS especially when they get rather LARGE but I cant stand plant eaters.

Just to say my white angel fish got a taste of the snails and just couldent get enough. By the end of the week she\he had eaten all of them. lolz. So much for this thread.

yeah I got like 10 last night, none since, they decided the plants taste better then the lettuce and algae wafers. I am about to nuke the tank once i find my last assassin in there, algae control ....kills inverts DEAD.

wont that stay in the tank though? i've always heard those things that kill inverts will kill them for quite a while afterwards... Too bad you dont have a snail eating loach you could throw in there for a couple weeks. got any friends you could borrow one from?

its ok to stay in there, I removed the helena's and am nuking the inverts in that tank, no snails allowed period. I am not going to throw away a 2k dollar build on the account of some stupid pond snails.

If they were MTS, thats another story but they are not and within 48 hours they completely destroyed that planted tank, half my plants are dead, this is with rex grigg ferts AND co2 and lighting ext, they are not even worthy of being called inverts, more like miniture sewer rat snails.

Back
Top Bottom