SNAILS!! help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenplym

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys

I am transferring fish and plants from old setup to a new tank, Issue I am having is that the old tank is snail infested. I've tried the cucumber method, picking them out by hand and feeding my fish less and using assasins. I will need to seed my new tank (which will be heavily planted using co2, ferts ei dosing) I was hoping to use the filter media and salt dip the plants or copper dip. However I am thinking using any of the gravel would be risky as will most probably contain snail eggs as well as the filter media which I need to transfer. How am I going to do this without cross contamination of snails?. Any advice would be appreciated.

I might just copper treat old tank (remove assassins for treatment) and transfer filter media and plants only.

Steve

If you use the copper, I read somewhere that it will render your tank unsafe for inverts for years (snails and shrimp). You know what kind of snails you have? Some are actually beneficial and if they're multiplying like crazy, it's because you're over-feeding the tank and not cleaning as often. I have ramshorn, MTS, and Pond snails but they never get out of hand. I actually want them to multiply to feed my dwarf puffer tank, but since I care more about water quality, out of habit, I never over-feed, so the snails exist in such small quantity.

If you use the copper, I read somewhere that it will render your tank unsafe for inverts for years (snails and shrimp). You know what kind of snails you have? Some are actually beneficial and if they're multiplying like crazy, it's because you're over-feeding the tank and not cleaning as often. I have ramshorn, MTS, and Pond snails but they never get out of hand. I actually want them to multiply to feed my dwarf puffer tank, but since I care more about water quality, out of habit, I never over-feed, so the snails exist in such small quantity.

I feed less then described on the packets. Says 2-3 a day I only do once and minimal at that. I think every other day might be better.

Do you know what kind of snails? As for the plants you can use a hydrogen peroxide dip which will kill most snails and eggs. You could do the same for the gravel but what a pain that would be.

Honestly I'd start with new everything and what about taking the seeded media you want to use and enclose it in a woman knee-hi nylon? I'm not sure even a baby snail could get through it or get one of those media bags and use that. Just be sure to completely seal the media in so nothing could get out of the opening.

That sounds like a good idea.. I've used tights to hold media before to seed tanks. I'll try that and lets hope the eggs and critters can't get through :).

i had a tank that i was breeding rams horn snails to sell and when i sold all the alults i emptied the tank and left the gravel in and filled it with the hotest salt water i had out of the faucet . and that did the trick.i let it set over night and caboom no more snails or eggs

Do you know what kind of snails? As for the plants you can use a hydrogen peroxide dip which will kill most snails and eggs. You could do the same for the gravel but what a pain that would be.

That work well I do it in all new incoming plants I put in my tanks mainly for algae but works well for snails. as I do breed ramshorns and pond snails for asassin food, mts for aerating my soil and pink pearl ramshorns to sell someday.

Back
Top Bottom