Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Soil Sub?

Ive been saying when the weather gets warm I want to rescape my tank and I had a couple questions about it.

I plan on doing soil sub. I wanted soil then sand. Is this a good combination? I think of my MTS snails in there and how they turn the gravel. Do you guys ever deal with the snails turning the soil up above your substrate?

Second thing was BB algae on some of my plants. I was thinking of trying to dip them before the transfer in either peroxide and/or bleach then rise in some prime water. Is this a good idea? Im hoping this will kill the algae and eradicated any unwanted snails as my MTS population has gone crazy.

Third I was thinking of using the organic miracle grow I read about instead of the super pricey Eco Complete in the pet stores. Does this NEED to be rinsed and dried a few times pre or is the organic stuff safe to dump and go?
Mind you Ill be transferring my fish right after so I have to keep that in mind.

Im in debate of upgrading to a 55 as well if the GF lets me build the stand but she is usually good for fighting me on that stuff and thinks we can buy it all but I just dont trust anything from IKEA holding 450+ lbs of water.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

no thoughts?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

1. Yes sand and dirt works fine
2. No problems with mts
3. It could work, but keep in mind dips are harsh on plants
4. Most of your mts will go away after a substrate switch.
5. No it doesnt need to be rinsed and dried.
6. Just go ahead and build a stand. Make it look nice and see if she gives the okay on it. They arent terribly expensive. Worst case scenario you can sell it.

Tags
oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com