Split light on time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about setting my timer to come on for a couple of hours in the morning and then set the rest of the time for at night. I like to watch my tank at night but I also like to watch it in the morning while I am drinking my coffee. Does it matter if the 8 hours is one continuous period? My window faces the east and during the day I get lots of indirect sunlight to view my tank. I was leaving the light on for 12 hours but algae started to get out of hand.
I am going to buy a cheap LED light for night viewing. I was looking at blue lights or should I get red?

You can split your photoperiod without issue and the blue LED moonlights look the best IMO for night viewing.

Thanks for the reply Rivercats. I like the blue leds myself, I just didn't know if it would bother the fish. My snake doesn't notice the red but is attracted to the blue.

Agreed with Rivercats.

I have my lights on for a 10 hour period split into two 5 hour periods and a 2 hour break in between. The room my tanks are in get a lot of ambient light so the lights turn off from 12pm-2pm when the light coming in is the strongest. Hopefully something like this can be used for you also.

I do 8 hrs, 10am - 2pm, then an hour siesta, then on again until 7.
I too have natural light in the room from morning until night, but no direct light on the aquarium.
I do the siesta to battle any algae growth, as algae is slower to start its photosynthesis process than plants are.

I use the blue LED moon lights on most of my tanks. The fish don't even notice them or at least aren't bothered by them.

I have small nano cubes and the white light ended up looking more natural. I use a dimmer though, making the lights very low and "moon" looking.

Back
Top Bottom