Starting a Planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffadams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone Im pretty new when it comes to fish tanks. I currently have a 20 gal fish tank with fake plants in it. I have about 13 fish in there. I know its overstocked I just got a little fish crazy anyways My question is what is the best way to get started to convert my tank into all live plants. From plants to substrate to lighting to filter everything. I wanna do it right and I need some help without making me broke. Thanks:huh:

The first step to do a planted tank is to decide what plants you want to go for. Each lighting level will have different needs for a tank. Take a look at AquariumPlants.com to research some plants that you like most and then you can go from there.

For low light plants you can get away with stock t8 lighting without having to worry about ferts.

Medium light level you will need to upgrade to a stronger lighting system and start supplementing with ferts and a carbon source.

High light level is more difficult and will require more care to get growing correctly without creating an algae farm. Fertilization is definitely required at this point.

I strongly suggest starting out with a low light tank. What is your current lighting and bulbs? Also what substrate do you have? You may be fine using both your current lighting and substrate.

For easy plants to start with look at Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts for planting in the substrate. Water sprite would also be a good starter plant. Anubia's, Java Fern's, and Bolbitus all need to be tied onto driftwood or rocks.

I have a LED lid. The one that comes with the tetra starter kits. I'm not sure what wattage. Its pretty bright. And I have blue gravel at the moment.

I strongly suggest starting out with a low light tank. What is your current lighting and bulbs? Also what substrate do you have? You may be fine using both your current lighting and substrate.

For easy plants to start with look at Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts for planting in the substrate. Water sprite would also be a good starter plant. Anubia's, Java Fern's, and Bolbitus all need to be tied onto driftwood or rocks.

Rivercat's suggestion has merit. But people like me just like to dive in head first and say screw it to a learning curve :D Lots of algae happened in the beginning but all the kinks worked out over time.

I have a LED lid. The one that comes with the tetra starter kits. I'm not sure what wattage. Its pretty bright. And I have blue gravel at the moment.

That is a low level of light so River's suggestions for plant types to currently fit your tank are good ones you could go out and get whenever you like.

So your one of those dive in, look later, and hope for the best kind of guys.... lol! Wait till your my age and you won't be so quick to jump into things!

Mebbid I too am a jump first look later kinda girl! Now I have a science project on my hands. But I am having so much fun with it!!! I need another tank so I can get more plants!

I will buy some plants soon. And post some pics. Keep ya guys posted!

Back
Top Bottom