Stocked! (A little)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought 6 Cardinals today, along with a Java Fern and a Crypt. I already forgot the species (oops); perhaps you could ID it? I love it. Ok, so, I couldn't find a way to attach my Java to the rock, so I just put it next to it with most of the roots buried with rhizome above the substrate. I have the filter on low flow so I don't think it'll move very much.

As for the Crypt , I didn't even know they had rhizomes? It looks stupid with the roots out...for about 3 minutes I had it buried, but then looked online to make sure that was the right way to do it and realized it wasn't. It looked much better with the roots all the way in the substrate.

I know this tank is nothing at all, but I still need to get driftwood, and over the next few months I plan to get a few more fish, and maybe five or so more plants. Just sort of testing everything out for now. Nothing feels better than being back in this hobby.

(If you post before this edit, I moved everything around in the tank. Excuse the crap floating around)
Sorry for the small pics, brother was playing game and uploading large pics jams our internet. Hope you can see everything alright.

img_1182255_0_acc346039ff51ee56422237fab71dd79.jpg

img_1182255_1_de765bbfb70fbc2aff87c90aa343e33f.jpg

img_1182255_2_8fa6d2abd05c7eeec8e33ef3397b8410.jpg

Really don't know about the rhizome on this one. I left the base of the plant above (if you can see) the substrate, and buried the rest of the roots. Hope it isn't too deep?

img_1182255_3_0f68c1fbfee9d0e4b27698084cb8444d.jpg

img_1182255_4_49408a7db8c452114eed46644eb01738.jpg

I buried the roots on my two crypts (Lutea and Parva) and they're growing nicely. I don't believe I've completely buried the rhizome.

If you want to attach the fern to the rock, you can use cotton thread, fishing line, or superglue. When I attached my mother fern to the driftwood, I actually just tied the roots together around the wood. I've used the thread and fishing line to attach java moss to driftwood and I've attached about ten baby ferns to driftwood with superglue. Use it sparingly and don't coat the whole rhizome.

I buried the roots on my two crypts (Lutea and Parva) and they're growing nicely. I don't believe I've completely buried the rhizome.

If you want to attach the fern to the rock, you can use cotton thread, fishing line, or superglue. When I attached my mother fern to the driftwood, I actually just tied the roots together around the wood. I've used the thread and fishing line to attach java moss to driftwood and I've attached about ten baby ferns to driftwood with superglue. Use it sparingly and don't coat the whole rhizome.

Thanks Neilan! They had very nice plants in there.

Jim or Neilan, you think you guys could ID that Crypt? Annoyed that I forgot the name. What do you think of how I buried the roots...don't really know how to identify the rhizome on it. The plant is also in front of the filter flow, and it's swaying a bit. Looks nice, but good or bad to have it directly in front?

For the Java, I'm gonna need to go get some thread. I had a rubber band laying around but I couldn't get it around the whole rock.

Thanks for the advice.

It looks like it might be Wendtii, but it could be something totally different. Wendtii is one of the most popular crypts.

Does the plant kinda coming off something like a stick and the roots some down from that or the plant here is a rhizome for some help
025_finding.jpg

I'm not sure about the Crypt...It's easy to distinguish in Java Fern obviously because it has that solid bar running along the base of the plant.

Went to go look at my new guys just now, and found only 5 of 6. After looking for 5 minutes I took a look in the filter. There he was. I removed him...he seems pretty badly mangled but he is still swimming; no way in **** he seems to be swimming back towards the filter.

Rough first day. Poor fella. Hope he lives.

Back
Top Bottom