stumped about hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
the times before, i was told that hair algae is caused by low nitrates, however, my nitrates are around 10 and i still have brown hair algae all over.

what is causing this and how can i get rid of it? it doesnt look like its killing the plants like the blue green algae but it makes my tank look cloudy. so what can i do to get rid of it.

nitrates-10
20G
48 watts
5kh co2
ph 7.6

tia

A reading of 10ppm on the AP No3 test kit can really mean closer to 5 or 0. Bump No3 to 15-20ppm so you KNOW you have some decent levels. I shoot for more of a red-orange color than a yellow-orange when I dose.

Your Phosphate levels would be important to know.

Something is not right with your Co2, and you may want to start using some Excel until you figure it out.

http://www.leon-huang.com/doser/

Use this. Your tank is approx 76 liters.

Each ml you add increases your No3 by approx 1ppm. Works out pretty simple for a 20g tank!

After your next PWC of 50% I would measure No3(It will most likely appear more yellow than orange), and dose 15ml of Flourish Nitrogen. Just my $.02

BUT, your Co2 is still an issue. You need to either figure out how the Co2 is escaping the water or buy some Excel in the very near future.

well for the co2, i usually full the tank about 2 cm below the output of the filter and the tank iosmnt covered and i have no air wands. what else will be making it go out of the water.

so ya ill check it after the next water change and should i get it to about 15-20?

Try to get it so that the water level is either even with or above the filter output. This will minimize splashing and allow the water to just create a ripple when entering the tank.

Back
Top Bottom