Supplements for low tech?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyValley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Just started a 65 gallon low tech (no CO2) planted. Have an 1"+ of flourite with about 2"s silica sand on top for substrate. Lighting is approx 3WPG (power compacts) all bulbs in the 5K-7K range. Looking to stay with basic Amazons, vals, indicas, javas mixed with driftwood. Not sure on fish yet - probably going with fancy guppies.

Anyways, I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what supplements to use? Is seachem's Flourish sufficient for a one-stop shop, or are there others I need. Of course, I would prefer a "one solution" fits all, but obviously want to do it right, so can add some in.

Thanks!! I'll post some pics when I get it set up. Right now its got the substrate, EboJager heater, Koralia (SP?) power head for movement, aquaclear filter for mechanical filtration, and lights. Pretty bare!!

Guess I should post some "needs plants" in the classifieds!

there are no one stop shopping for supplements. flourish is just your basic trace fert. you still need PNK. personally i would try less light. turn a bulb off or switch one or two too actinic bulb. you most likely can get away with out adding anything depending on your tank. i have plenty of low light med light plants. just pm me.

N-P-K (nitrate-phosphate-potassium) if you look on the front of your bottle of fert and it says 3-0-0 it means that it has 3%nitrate and 0 phosphate or potassium. N-P-K are your macro nutrients and then you need iron and trace.
in a low tech tank you dont need too much. i agree with mgamer that you need to turn a bulb off. i wouldnt go higher than 2 wpg without co2. flourish comprehensive has it all but not enough N-P-K, they should still be dosed.
or you could use dry ferts. in a low tech tank they will prob last you a lifetime

Home Depot

Thanks for clarification on PNK - didnt know what that was.

On the topic of lighting - i've always wondered why you cant just go to Home Depot and get MH lighting for a fraction of the cost? Not the right bulbs or something? I saw a reflector/fixture that had two 150 lamps included for $59 bucks. Any thoughts??

they would more than likely not be the right spectrum. if you can get bulbs that fit in those fixtures at the correct spectrum then there is no reason you cant do that. some ppl just by the fluorescent shop lights there and change the bulbs to daylight spectrum. it mostly depends on what you want to see hangiing over your tank everyday.

Back
Top Bottom