tab fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joejeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone use them. Any comments. I was thinking about using them bc my substrate is a little weak.

How do you make it. Is it hard? I saw one a pet supermarket today. But it only had 2.2% iron. Which seems low. So o didn't buy it.

There's a few root tab recipes floating around, but its basically a good bit of csm+b micromix along with some kno3, k2so4, mgso4+7h20 and some iron rich carbondale red clay.

The iron thing isn't really a big deal, you can dose it in liquid form if the plants are showing a deficiency.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
There's a few root tab recipes floating around, but its basically a good bit of csm+b micromix along with some kno3, k2so4, mgso4+7h20 and some iron rich carbondale red clay.

The iron thing isn't really a big deal, you can dose it in liquid form if the plants are showing a deficiency.

I had always thought other wise... I do use a chem fert. Just wanton.g to enhance my gravel somehow.

I use seachem flourite substrate with seachem tabs with all the seachem liquids it works well for me

Too late on substrate. Tank establish. Didn't realize it would become so planted lol. Meant to have like two plants... That number soon grew. All is well just lookin forward to when they really start to grow and the needs become more demanding.

I was like that but I decided to make the switch to flourite I went mental with the plants so I thought I would go all out and I'm glad I did, but I would recommend the seachem tabs with seachem flourish (liquid fert) and Excel that would really help you and your plants growth

richpowell1989 said:
I was like that but I decided to make the switch to flourite I went mental with the plants so I thought I would go all out and I'm glad I did, but I would recommend the seachem tabs with seachem flourish (liquid fert) and Excel that would really help you and your plants growth

So how did u switch. Did u have to move fish to another tank. Or did u like do have tank then the other, or did u have to break it all down. I want to.do.the switch but I.know it will.be a mess.

joejeff said:
So how did u switch. Did u have to move fish to another tank. Or did u like do have tank then the other, or did u have to break it all down. I want to.do.the switch but I.know it will.be a mess.

I jus emptied my tank kept all the water in a few huge containers with the fish and my heater plus filter then washed it a few times and re filled it and it was fine didn't even go through a mini cycle just keep everything wet and it will be fine

richpowell1989 said:
I jus emptied my tank kept all the water in a few huge containers with the fish and my heater plus filter then washed it a few times and re filled it and it was fine didn't even go through a mini cycle just keep everything wet and it will be fine

What about the substrate clouding water when u refilled... And does the quality substrate lower ur fert needs? Is vacing harder?

joejeff said:
What about the substrate clouding water when u refilled... And does the quality substrate lower ur fert needs? Is vacing harder?

If you clean it untill you have clear water running out of the bucket with it in then there was no cloudy water, and yeah I don't need to free as much and vac is very easy because it is very fine but still heavy enough it don't get picked up

richpowell1989 said:
If you clean it untill you have clear water running out of the bucket with it in then there was no cloudy water, and yeah I don't need to free as much and vac is very easy because it is very fine but still heavy enough it don't get picked up

Nice. That substrate is more expensive than the gravel. But I will most likely make the switch. I may wait till I get my Nxt tank, watching for a deal rt now, and put current gravel straight to new tank to speed cycle. Idk. For a 29 gallon it is goin to take like $80 I think to buy enough of the stuff. Unless someone knows a cheaper why to get than lfs.

joejeff said:
Nice. That substrate is more expensive than the gravel. But I will most likely make the switch. I may wait till I get my Nxt tank, watching for a deal rt now, and put current gravel straight to new tank to speed cycle. Idk. For a 29 gallon it is goin to take like $80 I think to buy enough of the stuff. Unless someone knows a cheaper why to get than lfs.

Well I live in the UK it was buy one get one free on the big bags so that helped me decide

joejeff said:

You could always use dirt alot cheaper and plants love it!!! Plus u could use the gravel I have to cap the dirt

abrahamavelar said:
You could always use dirt alot cheaper and plants love it!!! Plus u could use the gravel I have to cap the dirt

What type dirt? Like potting soil from a hardware store? And when u say capping, do you mean soil w gravel on top?

yeah potting soil organic tho many people in other forums recommend miracle grow organic choice and yeah u put it on top of the dirt if u watch dustins channel on youtube (dustinsfistanks) and if you check Fishtanktv they can help you on how to switch the easy way and your dirt will feed your plants good and will help them grow alot better

Back
Top Bottom