Tank going cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
For some reason my 55g tank is starting to get cloudy. I have changed nothing in the past few weeks, and now over the past 2 days it seems to be getting more and more cloudy.

The only circulation I have is what is provided by the filter. The spraybar is on the top of the tank in the back. It is pointed toward the front of the tank and slightly upward to provide a slight ripple on the surface. There does not seem to be any areas that I would call dead but there is not really anyplace that has what I would call a lot of water movement either.

Could this be a result of not having enough movement?

Attachments

• 2-22-2007_cloudy_162.jpg
    2-22-2007_cloudy_162.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-22-2007_cloudy_1_133.jpg
    2-22-2007_cloudy_1_133.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 25
I did do that yesterday. Oddly enough the tank seems worse today. I was just going to wait it out and see if it clears itself. It's a mystery to me.

I occasionally get a bit of a cloud to my water. I have a long air curtain that seems to supersaturate the water with dissolved gasses and if i have any sort of particulate in the water, bubbles tend to precipitate out on them, making any amount of dust or particles in the water look far worse than it is. When I notice this, I'll usually run an activated carbon pack in my AC 50 for a couple days until the cloud goes away, then I'll take it out, let it dry and save it for next time. The problem generally doesn't come back for months, at the least.

It often happens after I've done a major stir up, usually when I've been digging around putting plant clippings in bare spots after it comes time to shear back my tall plants a bit.

Ok I did the white bowl test. As best as I can tell, there is no green in the water. I am noticing a little more "tea" color from the drift wood. It had stopped that a few weeks ago and now it seems to be staining the water again. I don't think that was making the water cloudy though.

I did my weekly water change tonight because I could not stand looking at the haze any more. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Jchillin said:
No recent stirring of the substrate? It does sound like a bacterial bloom.

No, it really showed up after last weeks water change. The only thing I can come up with that has changed is that I used a new hose for filling the tank. But that seems a little far fetched. I really can't pinpoint what has changed.

When the lights come on at noon I hope to see nice clear water again.... We'll see.

The only thing I can come up with that has changed is that I used a new hose for filling the tank. But that seems a little far fetched.

An investigation usually leads to "The Butler did it". Is it possible, however remote, that you forgot to add dechlor?

I have forgotten it in the past, but usually remember before the tank is full. At this point in time I would nor rule anything out.

It sounds like what I had a few months ago. I had a bacteria bloom and the water was cloudy for about 2 months. I think mine was caused by an algae destroyer I added. But sure enough, like everyone here told me, it cleared up on its own. It's not harmful to the fish or plants, it just looks ugly.

Back
Top Bottom