Ten gallon light set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not sure what kind of lights i have. I just have the ones that came with the top fin ten gallon tank kit. there are two lights in there and they screw in. Second question can i change them relatively cheap and what kind of lights can i use to get med to high light conditions? Remember I a really new to plants so KEEP IT SIMPLE

Thanks Tess

You can get 2 screw in compact fluorescent lights from walmart. I've heard the 10, 15, and 20 watt bulbs will fit fine. They should sell for about $7 each. Make sure to get daylight bulbs (they should be whitish in color rather than orangish). It should say daylight on the labeling.

If you are really new to plants, I would not recommend going into high light yet. Starting off at a lower lighting level will be easier until you get your bearings. You could buy 2 10 watt bulbs for low light and then when you think you are ready, you can buy 2 20 watt bulbs (which actually is probably only medium light but even that is hard if you don't know what you are doing).

10g lighting is the simplest to upgrade IMO. :) I'd go with the 15 watt bulbs...that would give you 3 watts per gallon, which is medium light on a 10g. If you get alot of plants when you change the lighting, you shouldn't have any algae. If you upgrade the lighting to 3wpg or more and just have a couple plants...you are asking for algae.

I have 2 20w bulbs from Walmart, the brand is Lights of America and it says Daylight on the package. I bought some before that were screw in CF bulbs and didn't say daylight...wasted my $8 because they weren't the right kind.

Those are in the lighting section. If you decide to start with lower light (2 10w bulbs), they do have some in the fish section at walmart for about $4 a bulb. Either that or the 15w bulbs would work IMO.

Again Lights of America in the lighting section there is a double daylight package 20watts which is fine. You can use the higher wpg on a low light tank its really just the plant selection that differs. In San Antonio it was $5 for the 2 pack. the 10watt bulbs JustOneMore20 is talking about are the same brand but the cost of 1 is roughly the cost of the 2 pack for me. Just get make sure the rating is 6500k or better for plants

I have used the 20 watt bulbs and it worked like medium to medium high light. The 15 watt bulbs would be perfect to start with so you can dive into this a little slower and not have a huge change in your tank. If you don't have CO2 yet then the 15 watt bulbs is the highest wattage you should go.

thanks

thanks for the help. I do not have co2 yet . I will try the 15 watt lights.
I already have some algea on my plant leaves and i was told it is because I don't have enough light.

Thanks Tess

Back
Top Bottom