The thing I was fearing -- has happened :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I am still setting up my new 55 gallon. I have a few plants in there and have been dosing ferts as follows:
M-W-F
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements

TU-TH-Sunday
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2S04 3x a week

Saturday
Excel

SUNDAY
50% weekly water change

I have a 130Watts light on it and was going to go DYI CO2 (I know it is not the best solution -- but I do not have $250-300 more to spend on this tank).

Anyhow I was planning to move the fish from the 15 gallons tank to this new one soon.. Well, life has been extremely busy these days (I am working 7 days a week about 12 hours + we have a 5 month old daughter --so you can imagine) -- in nutshell, never found time to do the dyi co2 or to move the fish to this tank (and few other plants from the 15 gallons -- this 15 gallon has a lot of snails (MTS) which I do not want in the 55 gallon , so have to do the bleach bath etc and as mentioned above have no time to spare other than the regular water change on the 15 gallon

So because of this negligence, the unwanted guest has made an arrival -- thread algae :evil: :evil:

So what is the solution? How do I get rid of the algae? My project is expected to slow down from tomorrow and I should have some time over the weekend -- what can I do? Do I keep adding the ferts? How long should hte light be on? Will CO2 help?

Try removing the algae manually and backing down on the lighting some. Why are you only adding Excel once a week?

I am running DIY CO2 on my 55 gal also. It is working out fine, so no worries for you on that, ok? =)

I would however check your CO2 level (get chucks calculator, helps a lot) and see what it is at. You might need to up it. It is harder to keep the level up on a 55 with DIY CO2. I have 4 1 gallon jugs for mine, and planning to add a 5th this weekend.

Also, what is your CO2 diffusion method?

Like rich said, back off the lighting a little...6 hrs a day or so. remove as much of the algae as you can (trim the leaves back on the plants affected if you have to, use a toothbrush and hot water to get it off decor).

Also monitor your PO4 and NO3. Post those, and your CO2 level (if you don't know how to get CO2, post your pH and KH and we can get you an estimated calculation) and maybe we can help pinpoint a problem that needs adjusting.

Your fert routine as you posted it will result in about these weekly PPMs:
Nitrate: 23 ppm
Phosphate: 7 ppm
Potassium: 22 ppm

The phosphate is very high relative to nitrate. Raise the KNO3 and K2SO4 some (+.25%)
Lower the KH2PO4 by half.

btw, on micros...when it says to dose (+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements) the 1/8 is 1/8 teaspoon of CSM+B dry, the 10ml is based on liquid fert mix of the same CSM+B. The +/- means adjust as needed.
Your trace levels are a bit high based on the lights provided, try cutting that dosage in half.

Finally, Do try the DIY CO2, probably 2-4 2-liter bottles, and read up on mist method diffusion. Also, try only running lights 10 hours a day.

http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/EI-DoseRoutine_v4_public.xls

In addition to the above advice - Which plants have algae? If it is a fast-growing stem plant, you can cut off the most badly affected areas of the plant. Although they'll look like funny little stubs, they'll grow in quickly, especially if you get your CO2 running. If the top is algae-free, then cut it off and replant just the top. It will grow new roots quickly.

I have had fairly good luck with pouring about 1/8 cup Excel into a bucket with about 6 cups of water, and soaking the plants to get the algae off. Only leave them in the Excel water for 5 minutes, and then rinse very thoroughly under running water. Soak the plants in clean water for another 10 minutes before replanting. If you're going to do a bleach bath to get rid of snails, you could see if that kills the algae too. Just use a very dilute concentration of bleach, rinse well and soak in clean water with lots of dechlor.

If you use the Excel method, be aware that the algae won't die immediately. You'll be able to pull some off as you rinse, but over the next few days, you'll see more of the algae turn black and you'll be able to remove it easily during a quick rinse at your next water change.

OK I have added 4 2L bottles for DYI co2 -- the plants (including the algae :p) has started pearling.

I got my readings teh other day :

ph : 7.4
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrates 40-80

Need o get a KH test

Still no sign of the algae reducing. It is taking over some plants now and looking quite ugly.

Sounds like you're making some progress. What was your pH before you added the CO2? You're looking for about a drop of one, so if the pH was 8 before adding the CO2 you'd be looking for a pH of 7. I suspect you'll need a couple more CO2 bottles.

Back
Top Bottom