thinking on dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrduna01

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 75 gallon tank coming my way in just two weeks and am contemplating doing a mix of Eco complete and black sand or using the capped soil like miracle organic. Most sources say that a beginner plant enthusiast should not go the route of soil but why? What do I need to learn/know/do to go the soil route? All the information on various boards seem contradictory. Also, what can I expect if going the Eco mix route? Please help me decide.

A lot of people on this forum strongly advocate dirt, and it's a good substrate system. I'm one of those people that generally advises more caution with beginning tanks. I think about it as such:

What was your first car? Was it a nice car, or was it a beater? Like probably many people, my first car was a genuine POS, but it was 'functional'. After all, I didn't need an expensive commuter car or a muscle truck. Nope, it was a station wagon for me. It was however, a good forgiving beginner car. Let's face it, teenagers are bad drivers and giving one a muscle car is a recipe for disaster.

How does this translate to planted tanks? Sand, gravel, or other non-nutrient substrates (including fluorite and EC) are good starter substrates, whereas nutrient containing substrates (Aquasoil, dirt) are the 'muscle cars'. Having a nutrient rich substrate means that there will be nutrients available in your water column for anything that wants them, plants, algae, or otherwise. If you don't know how to manage the needs of your plants, you might find yourself with algae problems, or other common complications. I knew people who got brand new cars on their 16th birthday, and while many of them did fine, some people always wrecked their $10,000 life lessons.

Long story short: Do it if you want, but do your research before hand and know how to manage the tank. Dirt is really only bad in the hands of the uninformed and uneducated, imo.

While I agree with aqua_chem I just like to add that my very first planted tank was, and still is, organic potting soil with a gravel/sand cap. Never had a problem. So it is possible to pull it off with LOTS of research and planning.

Dirt, simply put, is dirty. When you go to uproot one of your beloved swords that has been in place for 6 months you'll see what I mean.

That said, though, it's a great plant substrate and is extremely cost effective.

My first tank was dirted now I have 4, I have done 2 tanks with the same setup one with dirt and one without trust me do the dirt you won't regret it and isn't as hard as people make out

Thank you all for the great advice. I may keep it simple and go with Eco but if I go with dirt what is the simplest process? Add the dirt, cap it and that's it? No curing process?

Mrduna01 said:
Thank you all for the great advice. I may keep it simple and go with Eco but if I go with dirt what is the simplest process? Add the dirt, cap it and that's it? No curing process?

Look up how to mineralize dirt for a planted tank. Cuts down on the chances of algae out breaks and ammonia spikes.

I wish I would have went dirted with sand on top. People also like to put fresh clay balls embedded on the soil for extra iron.

iadubber said:
I wish I would have went dirted with sand on top. People also like to put fresh clay balls embedded on the soil for extra iron.

Yeah I do that, it really helps

If you're going to dirt it, might as well get some laterite. I don't think that the iron balls are going to do much for you.

MY concern is that that iron will be in the wrong oxidation state for the plants. Then it's just chunks of metal in your substrate.

Just because someone says that they added nails or whatever to their tank and the plants are doing great doesn't mean that adding nails to a tank is great for plants.

Adding red clay to soil is simple enough and not only does it serve as a source of iron but it is also serves as a flocculant with great adsorption but it also helps to help keep the dirt down.

I really think that iron is a bit overblown in substrate systems. Clay, on the other hand, has the ability to sequester nutrients and present it to roots it a way that they can absorb. The innate iron is a perk; a perk that will eventually run out.

Chunks of iron have no such advantage.

To be honest the whole thing still makes me nervous so I might go with the Eco and try the dirt in my 10 gallon.

Mrduna01 said:
To be honest the whole thing still makes me nervous so I might go with the Eco and try the dirt in my 10 gallon.

I have dirt covered in flourite dirt is easy its really not as hard as some people on here make out

Back
Top Bottom