Tiger Lotus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just purchased two Nymphaea Lotus plants. I did a little research about them, they are beautiful and both started to grow...
Both plants have the roots attached to a big brown bulb, maybe the bulb are part of the roots, I asked the lfs if the bulb needs to be cover by the substrate and he did not know. I keep both with the bulbs on top of the substrate.

Do I need to dig the bulb into the substrate? I saw a picture of another plant named Orquid Lily which has this kind of roots also, but the ones that I have are for sure Tiger Lotus leaves...

Ideas here?

I have 2 tiger lotus plants and I dont know the 'correct' answer to this but I keep the bulb planted in the substrate (it will grow roots out of it) the same way I would with a bulb of a lily or other outside plant. :)

The standard from what I understood and followed myself was to put the bulbs on the surface until they began growing, thus being able to see which was the growing side and which was the root side. Then the bulbs could be planted shallow. My bulb had to be different and grow roots and leaves out of the same side! So I planted it half in and half out which didn't matter since the lotus got so big you can't see the bulb area anyway. Just make sure to leave alot of space for it to grow. It will seem slow at first but once it takes off watch out. Also keep any leaves clipped off that are headed towards the surface, this will encourage low submerged growth.

Got it, i will observe where the leaves or roots are growing.
Thanks, and yes, they started to grow one leave towards the surface...

Rivercats said:
The standard from what I understood and followed myself was to put the bulbs on the surface until they began growing, thus being able to see which was the growing side and which was the root side. Then the bulbs could be planted shallow. My bulb had to be different and grow roots and leaves out of the same side! So I planted it half in and half out which didn't matter since the lotus got so big you can't see the bulb area anyway. Just make sure to leave alot of space for it to grow. It will seem slow at first but once it takes off watch out. Also keep any leaves clipped off that are headed towards the surface, this will encourage low submerged growth.

I know understand your "watch out" advice. Yes the Tiger Lotus took off, and have several huge leaves that reached the surface. So, how exactly do I trim the plant? Just cutting the big leaves from the base?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom