Tiger Lotus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just bought a red tiger lotus and it has two shoots going up to the surface but while I was moving it around somehow the bulb fell off the plant. The plant still has a good set of roots on it but I was wondering will it live without being attached to the bulb or what will happen? Will the bulb produce another plant? Thank you!

The plant will be fine if it has roots and if you lay the bulb on the substrate it will grow new roots and leaves.

Ah wonderful!! I was so stressed out! I only had the plant maybe an hour and I thought I had already killed it! Haha also should I plant the actual plant that has roots? What is their typical grow rate? Fast? Slow? And any other tips on keeping this type of plant? Thank you so much for the help!

Ah wonderful!! I was so stressed out! I only had the plant maybe an hour and I thought I had already killed it! Haha also should I plant the actual plant that has roots? What is their typical grow rate? Fast? Slow? And any other tips on keeping this type of plant? Thank you so much for the help!

It's up to personal preference but I really like the look of this plant if you cut all the Lilly's/leafs which make a shoot for the surface then the plant will stay as a tight short bunch of leaves this looks amazing!

Yes, plant the actual plant but be sure to only put the roots in the substrate not the crown. Then for the bulb if it has no visible roots or leaves just lay it on the substrate where it gets some light and it will either lay dormant for weeks to months or it will start sprouting again. It will actually root itself down so be sure to put it where you want it. They also do much better when you use root tabs. And as already mentioned when you see leaves that are more round in shape headed straight for the surface cut them off. This will actually discourage surface leaf growth to a point and encourage nice submerged growth leaves which you do want. That's all there is to it!

Thank you guys so much for the help! It has two shoots that go up to the surface and another little one thats only about an inch tall right now. Should I go ahead and cut the two tall ones that go to the surface?

Yes cut them off at the base because once you let leaves reach the surface this encourages the bulb to send up even more surface leaves. Always cut them off before they reach the surface if you want nice submerged growth.

I have one of these in my tank and love it. I thought I lost it. It dwindled and just died away. In the last couple of weeks it has come back as beautiful as ever. I love the color and the leaves are so big... I think it's the best plant in my tank... For now:)

I love it already. I have wanted one for a long time but none of the pet shops near me ever sold any and I just never got around to having one shipped and finally I found one at the pet shop I was super happy! But the bulb already has new growth on it and a cute tiny little leaf! Thank you guys again for all the advice and help!

Well I officially killed it for real! I swear I have to be one of the few people who kill plants before they even hit the tank! I took it out the other night to move stuff around and didnt want to hurt it (again) and well I forgot to put it back in the tank! Needless to say it dried up...lol but on the bright side the bulb is doing well already has a new leaf so hopefully I don't royally kill that...lol thank you guys again for all the help

Back
Top Bottom