Tin fishing sinkers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My water parameters are fine... including PH which holds steady at about 7. :)

BTW my tap water is fine also.. It comes from a few large open air reservoirs.
That's great but if you read my previous post, you'd see that acidic water effects the weights more than neutral or alkaline water. The lower the Ph, the more oxidizing and leeching goes on, even with tin. So not everyone will have the same results you are getting since not everyone keeps fish that live in neutral or higher Ph water.

Yeah but if you read my post :)

BTW "over time" is a completely arbitrary time period.

Actually, I did read your post and even just reread it to make sure I didn't miss anything and disagree with you that they are not 100% lead. I melt lead for my business so I'm not totally unaware of the what metals might be combined with lead. Most commonly used and inexpensive metals that are mixed with lead would not make the item more pliable which is why they appear to be all soft lead. It makes no sense to use something more expensive than plain lead to make plant weights.
That said, the issue discussed was about tin and even tin, while not as toxic as lead, when exposed to acidic liquids, will oxidize and leech into the water. The amount and speed that this happens depends on the strength of the acid and the amount leeched can easily be unknowingly diluted with regular water changes. So to the OP's point of using tin weight instead of lead weight to reduce potential leeching, only the Ph of the OP's water would determine if this was even feasible or make a difference.
Hope this clears things up. (y)

Back
Top Bottom