Tin fishing sinkers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are tin fishing sinkers aquarium safe? I have some hornwart that I want to secure to the bottom but I don’t want to poison my fish.

I figured it was more than likely ok but it’s better to be safe that sorry. Don’t want to kill my guppies. I’ve had a lot of people tell me the lead weights would be fine but everything on the internet says different lol. It’s hard to know what’s what in this hobby.

Ive read the same things about lead. I can imagine some inverts not liking it as they can be less tolerant of disolved metals but my snails dont have an issue with it. Im sure if you look for issues you will find someone who had an issue at some point.

And just confirm, as i got told the lead plant weights will be aluminium in reality, i spoke to the manufacturer who confirmed they are lead.

I’ll give the tin ones a try and jut keep an eye on things. I’m sure all will be well. They will be buried in the sand anyway

I have never heard of tin fishing sinkers. Are they shiny silver coloured lead sinkers?

Lead starts out shiny silver in colour and over time it oxidises and turns a dull matt grey in colour. The shiny silver lead sinkers are toxic but having one or two in an average aquarium that gets regular water changes isn't going to make a lot of difference. Once the sinkers have turned dull grey, the lead oxide coating stops the lead from leaching into the water.

I used old fishing sinkers for years and never had an issue with them affecting anything in the tank.

If you only have access to shiny new silver coloured lead sinkers, put them in a glass/ container of tap water for a few days and then take them out and let them sit on a bench until they turn grey.

I have never heard of tin fishing sinkers. Are they shiny silver coloured lead sinkers?

Lead starts out shiny silver in colour and over time it oxidises and turns a dull matt grey in colour. The shiny silver lead sinkers are toxic but having one or two in an average aquarium that gets regular water changes isn't going to make a lot of difference. Once the sinkers have turned dull grey, the lead oxide coating stops the lead from leaching into the water.

I used old fishing sinkers for years and never had an issue with them affecting anything in the tank.

If you only have access to shiny new silver coloured lead sinkers, put them in a glass/ container of tap water for a few days and then take them out and let them sit on a bench until they turn grey.

They are tin, not lead.

Attachments

• 344496CB-E1F3-4C00-93FC-CC0ECF021BDA.jpg
    344496CB-E1F3-4C00-93FC-CC0ECF021BDA.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 31
A website in the US that sells those sinkers says they are lead.
https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/...ker-16eclurmvsplshtszter/16eclurmvsplshtszter

If you are in California, they might be tin because California enacted a law prohibiting the use of lead sinkers, but I don't know of other states that have. I would contact the manufacturer and ask them. Until then, keep them out of the tank and away from children and animals just in case they are lead.

A website in the US that sells those sinkers says they are lead.
https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/...ker-16eclurmvsplshtszter/16eclurmvsplshtszter

If you are in California, they might be tin because California enacted a law prohibiting the use of lead sinkers, but I don't know of other states that have. I would contact the manufacturer and ask them. Until then, keep them out of the tank and away from children and animals just in case they are lead.

I’m in NY and the package clearly says tin.

Attachments

• AA431476-4B0E-47C6-AD7F-194D863FD063.jpg
    AA431476-4B0E-47C6-AD7F-194D863FD063.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 32
That is cool, they are using tin instead of lead. Wow good for you America. :) Now if you can remove lead how about removing the bang bang things too.

Good luck with that. It’s a scary world out here right now.

But as for the sinkers, completely tin. So I’m hoping they are safe for my fish. Sick of all this hornwort floating at the top of my tank. I love the stuff, but it blocks the light from my other plants.

That is cool, they are using tin instead of lead. Wow good for you America. :) Now if you can remove lead how about removing the bang bang things too.

Just an FYI, Many states in the US have made small leads illegal so the fishing tackle industry has moved towards other metals like tin, bismuth, steel, tungsten and even ceramics for weights. (y)

Just an FYI, Many states in the US have made small leads illegal so the fishing tackle industry has moved towards other metals like tin, bismuth, steel, tungsten and even ceramics for weights. (y)

I was thinking that because I never see lead weights when I buy fishing tackle anymore.

I’ll give the tin ones a try and jut keep an eye on things. I’m sure all will be well. They will be buried in the sand anyway

The issue with metals in an aquarium is more towards acidic water than alkaline. Acids will react with tin ( or lead or other metals) making them corrode in the tank making the water not acceptable to the fish if the concentration gets too high. Regular water changes can keep these levels under control. There is another option which is the Polyfilter pad by Poly Bio-marine which states that it removes toxic metals from water. Tin is not supposed to be " toxic" as we know it but when oxidized or oxidizing, as I understand it, it can release toxins into the water.

2 other options other than tin or lead is Stainless steel or Titanium. These metals are not supposed to oxidize. If you have a low Ph, you might want to try one of these instead of the tin.

If all else is not acceptable to you, I'd consider NOT burying the weights so that you can see if they start to oxidize so you can remove them. (y)

Hope this helps. (y)

I was thinking that because I never see lead weights when I buy fishing tackle anymore.
I still make lead head lures but I am limited to places I can use them. In states where they are banned, you won't see them on the store shelves but may be able to get them through the internet. Let me stress however that I am NOT ADVOCATING to cheat by getting your lead lures out of state via the internet. They are banned for a reason so please follow the rules. I fish often in a state where the use of small plain lead is illegal but according to the fisheries management, painted lead is still legal. I stop using the jigs when the paint gets too badly chipped or there is too much exposed lead. ( Always bring extras. ;) (y) )

The tackle industry as a whole is moving away from using lead but until there is a national ban, it's going to be a patchwork of " You can use it here but not there" regulations just to make us fishermen and fisherwomen crazy. ;)

The issue with metals in an aquarium is more towards acidic water than alkaline. Acids will react with tin ( or lead or other metals) making them corrode in the tank making the water not acceptable to the fish if the concentration gets too high. Regular water changes can keep these levels under control. There is another option which is the Polyfilter pad by Poly Bio-marine which states that it removes toxic metals from water. Tin is not supposed to be " toxic" as we know it but when oxidized or oxidizing, as I understand it, it can release toxins into the water.

2 other options other than tin or lead is Stainless steel or Titanium. These metals are not supposed to oxidize. If you have a low Ph, you might want to try one of these instead of the tin.

If all else is not acceptable to you, I'd consider NOT burying the weights so that you can see if they start to oxidize so you can remove them. (y)

Hope this helps. (y)

I might just grab some small stones and tie the plants to them instead. Seems like it should be safer than taking chances with metals.

I might just grab some small stones and tie the plants to them instead. Seems like it should be safer than taking chances with metals.
That's a great option as well. (y)(y)
Once the plants take root, you can always move the stones without messing up the plants. (y)

I have been using the so-called lead weights that you wrap around the bases of plants to anchor my Hornwort for about the last year in my present tank with no issues. Even my cherry shrimp are thriving and multiplying.

BTW I do not think they are anywhere close to 100% lead but just a very small percentage of it,
However, most laws state that all lead must be listed as an ingredient no mater how small of a percentage of lead its content may be. :)

I have been using the so-called lead weights that you wrap around the bases of plants to anchor my Hornwort for about the last year in my present tank with no issues. Even my cherry shrimp are thriving and multiplying.

BTW I do not think they are anywhere close to 100% lead but just a very small percentage of it,
However, most laws state that all lead must be listed as an ingredient no mater how small of a percentage of lead its content may be. :)
What's your water chemistry? Those "lead" plant weights are mostly soft lead so it's pliable. That will oxidize in acidic water. How bad depends on your Ph. If you do regular water changes, you are diluting any released toxins, hopefully before it contaminates the whole tank. (y)

My water parameters are fine... including PH which holds steady at about 7. :)

BTW my tap water is fine also.. It comes from a few large open air reservoirs.

Back
Top Bottom