Tips on changing out my substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My planted tank has been running beuatifully for the past few months. I am following the EI Dosing schedule for a 10-20 Gal Tank and adding in a DIY CO2 mix and things are blooming. Heres the story:
Lots of bad algae, I removed all plants effected, started dosing GW Ferts and bought a Hagen Ladder to diffuse my CO2. I also started using the small packets of yeast from teh grocery store for my yeast source and things are really going well. I have a Sunset Hygro which takes over the tank every 2 weeks, and some other super fast growing plants.

So now that the water issues are gone and the plants like my tank, I need to make some changes. First up is the substrate, I am taking out my black gravel which I find to big and heavy and hard to plant in and will be replacing it with Geo-systems Black beach Natural Sand, it's on sale really cheap at the LFS this week (10kg for 9$ cdn). So I plan on 2 bags for my tank.

Now, does anyone have experiance with this stuff? any advice, any tips on making this changeover successful?

As for afterwards, I want to replant my Amazon Sword, My 2 Mopani Logs with Java Ferns and Anubias Nana. I will then buy some new plants, for the front I thought of a Small Nana, some Grass (not sure the name) but the back I'm not sure what to do. I want somethig in the corner, kind of bushy but not huge (under 15") and in teh middle I thought of some Vals, but not sure how they grow? Any ideas?

MY TANK:
29 Gal (30Lx12Wx18H)
55W PC Lights
XP1 Filter
Stock: Tiger Barbs (5), Black Neon tetras (10), Clown Plecos (2), Yoyo loaches (2), Apple Snails (2), MTS (??)
Plants: Anubias Nana, Amazon Sword, Sunset Hygro, bunch plant (not sure the name), Java Ferns.

Back
Top Bottom