Too much co2??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donkey Gun

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've made a homemade co2 supply using a 2 liter bottle, 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tspn of yeast, and an airstone for the diffuser.

Is it possible to supply too much co2 to the aquarium?

My gf is also concerned for our safety, due to the fact that the tank is in our bedroom..

Is there any concern for the co2 dissolving into the air? I assured her that our breath probably creates more co2, but just a reassurance would be comforting..

Yes you can easily put too much co2 into the aquarium. The way to check the co2 level that most people use is a drop checker.

I wouldn't worry about the co2 dissolving in the air, maybe if it was a pressurized tank leaking but not a DIY co2 generator, it doesn't generate that much, but if it is a real concern just make sure there is plenty of air circulation in the room.

Which tank is the CO2 on .. 29 or 10gal (your profile info)?

This is a question I wondered myself when I was considering doing a DIY CO2 (not really practical on a 75gal). However from what I've read, the yeast amounts used on DIY doesn't produce any mass quantity of CO2 to be a hazard, especially in a typical well ventilated home.

Keep in mind while some CO2 diffuses into the water, some may outgas, so chance are you've already been exposed to the "added" CO2 levels in your bedroom.

Don't be concerned with co2 in the air. You'd litterally have to try and kill yourself with it Think about fountain drinks. Now CO is where you'd have a risk.

You really shouldn't inject co2 without measuring it. A drop checker is a pretty accurate, and cheap, way to measure co2 levels.

Donkey Gun said:
I've made a homemade co2 supply using a 2 liter bottle, 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tspn of yeast, and an airstone for the diffuser.

Is it possible to supply too much co2 to the aquarium?

My gf is also concerned for our safety, due to the fact that the tank is in our bedroom..

Is there any concern for the co2 dissolving into the air? I assured her that our breath probably creates more co2, but just a reassurance would be comforting..

You will be fine no way will it hurt you just think how much c02 is around you right now its everywere

jcolon said:
Which tank is the CO2 on .. 29 or 10gal (your profile info)?

This is a question I wondered myself when I was considering doing a DIY CO2 (not really practical on a 75gal). However from what I've read, the yeast amounts used on DIY doesn't produce any mass quantity of CO2 to be a hazard, especially in a typical well ventilated home.

Keep in mind while some CO2 diffuses into the water, some may outgas, so chance are you've already been exposed to the "added" CO2 levels in your bedroom.

It is on my 10 gallon.

Out of all the DIY co2 kits I read about, I never read anything about installing a regulator on the output.. Im sure the co2 produced is not as potent or concentrated as a compressed cylinder. Also, I would be afraid that the 2 liter bottle would explode from the back pressure of the regulator.

Ideally, pressure wouldn't build to a critical point in a DIY CO2 setup. No regulator means that any excess CO2 just leaves. If something gets blocked up, you might get a "yeast bomb", which will do very little other than spay a wall with yeast gibblets. Its much more likely that a cap/line will blow off somewhere though.

My #5 CO2 tank leaked for the first week that I had it, noticeably too. Never saw a side effect, and it was in my room, 10' from where I sleep. The biggest danger that a pressurized (NOT CO2) tank poses is if it were to rocket across a room, and you would have to mess up really bad for that to happen.

I see. thank you!

It seems to be putting out a line of bubbles from the diffuser every 5 seconds, so I was concerned that it might be too much. Plus, it began producing co2 within 30 minutes!! Which seems fast according to what I've read.

My mixture inside the 2 liter bottle:
2 cups sugar
1/2 tspn highly active yeast
water

Maybe next batch I'll put a 1/4 tspn of yeast to slow the production down a little.

That doesn't sound fast. If it had to come up to pressure, that would be one thing, but if you have the tube stuck in the tank, it would be fast.

How are you diffusing it? What fish are in the tank?

I'm using a small air stone

image-1007848105.jpg

It's my 10 gallon, which has 5 green neon tetras and 5 Furcata Rainbows.

What kind of filter so you have? You night benefit more from sticking your air tube directly into the filter feed.

Back
Top Bottom