Too much light with second fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrimsonBlayde

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a low tech 30 gallon, moderately/heavily planted. I use Excel for a carbon source.

I currently run a Finnex Ray 2, 30 inch. The plants are slow growing, with little red on the red plants and NEVER any pearling. The fixture does not spread the light to give full lighting back to front.

I was considering adding a Finnex Planted +, 30 inch to give more coverage and hopefully better growth and maybe a pearl or two. It would have the added benefit of a moonlight.

Would this be too much light? I don't want an algae storm! Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Don't count on pearling. Even injected CO2 tanks don't always have pearling. With more light you will probably need to adjust ferts. Iron will help bring out red colors I think ?

As far as detailed help ? I'm sure someone that knows these lights can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually the only time you would get pearling using liquid carbon is right after a WC. I used it with high light and my plants would not pearl just using Glut. They grew great though just much slower than pressurized CO2. OS.

On liquid CO2 supplements, I'm running a 9 gallon Eheim office tank with tank-standard LED lighting (i.e. low to moderate intensity) that's moderately to heavily planted. After not being able to pay close attention for a month I had an algae build up and so added API CO2 booster to see if that would help. Was very surprised to see pearling start up after a couple of days of consistent application - so surprised I was at first worried it was coming from the substrate as a result of decomposition. So it is possible and nice to see.

Back
Top Bottom