Unknown algae help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! Would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to read this thread. With that being said let's get started..

It's been almost exactly a month since I planted my 125g tank. And I've managed to keep a lot of the algae blooms under control but the one I'm not sure how to address is this one. IMG_0332.jpg

Please help me diagnose this! I feel like it is starting to really stunt my growth. Thank you.

Is that green spot algae? It's hard to tell in the picture. Or is it small black tufts?

If it's green spot then you can try upping for phosphate dosage by another half-full dose

If it's BBA you will need to zap it using glut (h2o2 or excel). Use a syringe to blast the effected area. Once it turns white continue to dose excel to the tank for a week to hopefully kill any free floating spores.

Also your plants look a little yellow. What ferts are you dosing in this tank?

Hello everyone! Would like to start by thanking you for taking your time to read this thread. With that being said let's get started..

It's been almost exactly a month since I planted my 125g tank. And I've managed to keep a lot of the algae blooms under control but the one I'm not sure how to address is this one. View attachment 294692

Please help me diagnose this! I feel like it is starting to really stunt my growth. Thank you.

I think the algae is growing because your plants are stunted not the other way round. Algae only really attaches to unhealthy plant matter.

A run down of your setup and daily routine in terms of dosing and feeding etc and an insight in to your routine maintenance will help us help you.

I think the algae is growing because your plants are stunted not the other way round. Algae only really attaches to unhealthy plant matter.

A run down of your setup and daily routine in terms of dosing and feeding etc and an insight in to your routine maintenance will help us help you.

Sure ! Great point I appreciate the inquiry! I dose PPS 6 days a week with weekly 50% water changes on sundays. I have 2 planted plus 30" LED lights on this 125g system, along with a 10lb C02 system. These both (lights and C02) are on a timer getting 10 hours on and 14 off. The tank is also filled with fluval stratum nutrient rich substrate for about 2.5 in all the way around.

Not to jump around a bit but I also thought I'd mention that I dose just about 1/3 more than recommended(PPS) for my tank size due to the high lighting, C02 and large number of plants. Also if it matters I have an FX6 on this system.

Sure ! Great point I appreciate the inquiry! I dose PPS 6 days a week with weekly 50% water changes on sundays. I have 2 planted plus 30" LED lights on this 125g system, along with a 10lb C02 system. These both (lights and C02) are on a timer getting 10 hours on and 14 off. The tank is also filled with fluval stratum nutrient rich substrate for about 2.5 in all the way around.

Not to jump around a bit but I also thought I'd mention that I dose just about 1/3 more than recommended(PPS) for my tank size due to the high lighting, C02 and large number of plants. Also if it matters I have an FX6 on this system.

And so it begins. Feel like the plants have everything they need right?

Come and join the rest of us over here.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/deficiencies-and-toxicities-of-plant-nutrients-354878.html

WOW! Thank you so much, what a great post!! Lots of great information on there followed by some "aha" moments.

Yeah you have a substrate full of traces I assume and you are dosing more with PPS pro. I think you are experiencing toxicity. I'd say do back to back large water changes to remove them from the water column then stop dosing the traces for a while. Continue macros and get a separate source of iron likes Seachems. It would be really useful and beneficial for the forum if you could update your experiences and any possibly improvements there.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom