UV Sterilizers in Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHIFT_Unique

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any cons to this? Im tired of worrying about getting ick, or some other nasty parasite. So im gonna get a UV Sterilizer. They are fairly cheap on EBay.

Anyone have one that has a planted tank? Will they kill beneficial bacteria?

Many people use them on planted tanks, they also help eliminate green water. They will not effect your bacteria, the bacteria is not in the water column so it will not pass throung the UV unit.

I think Travis ran one on his 125gal with no problems. I think he also ran it just at night, partially to save on bulb lifespan, and because he found that was sufficient for killing algae spores.

Hi there, I am running a coralife 9 wt turbotwist UV on my 20 gallon high. I did it mainly to kill green water which I have battled on and off since I got into this planted tank thing. I do mess with things like lighting and ferts alot, do alot of re-planting as well. Probably wouldn't have green water issues if I could just leave thing alone.... !
I have been running my UV for almost 2 months now and have had no problems at all, water is crystal clear and fish are very healthy and happy. I hit the tank with 6 WPG for a week to try to kick green water in, usually that will do it, no green water. I run mine at lights out, 12 hours on. Only do it that way because I to believe Travis runs his this way. He sets the best example around :)

Back
Top Bottom