Water Circulation Pumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm curious what the consensus is on water circulation pumps, like Hydor Koralia Nano pumps. I have a pair of them in my 36 gallon tank, one in each back corner, plus a Fluval 206 canister filter.

Do you think the Nano pumps are needed??

I have a 29g with a 206 also. I have a problem with not much circulation on the right side of my tank. Some plants need a good circulation and some don't like it. I've been thinking about a nano pump also but have mostly stem plants that get to the top of the tank then get blown around by the outlet. So I really don't know if one would cause more problems than it would solve. LOL. I wish someone would make a split outlet fitting for the smaller fluvals like they do for the big ones. I may have to put my DIY hat on. OS.

They certainly serve their purpose and help alleviate dead spots. It's important to get the right GPH flow rate though, otherwise if it's too strong, the fish will not be happy fighting a current all the time.

I have a Hydor Nano Koralia 240 in my 26g... Its too much IMO. I wish i got the Hydor Pico 180 instead because it also has a flow control.

I also use these circulation pumps to help inject co2 and get co2 circulated around the tank more effectively.

OS, you and I are on the same page with trying to weigh the pros and cons. My plants get caught up in them regularly since my tank isn't that tall, and they aren't the prettiest to look at. I have had two of them for about 18 months and it doesn't seem to bother the fish.

I'm just a perfectionist and like to keep things tidy in the tank :ROFLMAO:

Oh yeah, and like Brian referenced, I have my CO2 bubbling up under one of my nano pumps and it does do a good job of pushing it further into the tank. The more I talk the more I am talking myself into the pros of these pumps...DANG! I was hoping there would be an overwhelming response telling me to unplug them and rip them out forever.

Back
Top Bottom