Water conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wintersjustin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys ok so having a little trouble I added plants to my tank which look awesome but I tested the water and this is what I got this was after a 25 percent water change 12 hours later ok so it reads nitrate 20 nitrite5.0 gh 300 Kh 0 and ph 6.8 I'm kinda lost as what to do I don't even know if it has cycled all the way it's has been about two weeks I have done two water changes one because I had a bacterial bloom and this second one was because I had super high nitrites soo please any help will be appreciated I have a 3 gallon tetra cube IMG_1709.jpg

Hi, are those results with a solution/vial test or the cardboard strips? The strips can give false results. Also do you have ammonia reading and is this a fish-in or fishless cycle?

They are the strips no ammonia on the strip and yes it's a fishless cycle

Hey guys ok so having a little trouble I added plants to my tank which look awesome but I tested the water and this is what I got this was after a 25 percent water change 12 hours later ok so it reads nitrate 20 nitrite5.0 gh 300 Kh 0 and ph 6.8 I'm kinda lost as what to do I don't even know if it has cycled all the way it's has been about two weeks I have done two water changes one because I had a bacterial bloom and this second one was because I had super high nitrites soo please any help will be appreciated I have a 3 gallon tetra cube View attachment 293287

I never trust the strip tests as I get odd results. API freshwater master test kit is better.

One would be to test your tap water and see what results are for a baseline. That will tell you how far your tank water chemistry has shifted.

No kh and low ph suggests a water change as the bacteria (or at least these ones) need some kh reading.

Nitrates and nitrites reading suggests mid-point of cycling. So maybe a month all up. Not bad, some tanks take 2 months. But check tap water - sometimes it can have nitrates.

When nitrites and nitrates are off the test kit range, do a water change.

How much ammonia are you dosing to each day? Also I assume there is a filter somewhere on these tanks?

Back
Top Bottom