Water parameters with plants, water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
When you have a planted tank, can you do less frequent water changes? I ask because I used to do water changes weekly (about 20%) and now since I have plants in my tank (55 gallon, I have 1 amazon sword, 1 onion plant, 1 anubias and a bunch of water sprite floating on the top of the side of the tank whee the other plants aren't. It's been 3 weeks since I've done a water change. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is the same as it's always been, the second to lowest value (I don't know the exact number, but it's low), pH surprinsingly hasn't changed at all... Is there something else I should be concerned about? The plants are healthy and growing well (I took care of the problem with the onion plant I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I just had to leave the bulb and most of the roots exposed). The water is crystal clear. Does having a planted tank really make it this much easier? I thought it would be harder, but it's been so great, and it looks great too! I just am in shock that my levels are what they are...

The amount of work depends on what type of planted tank you have. A high-tech planted tank takes a lot of work. Constantly trimming plants, daily dosing, weekly 50% or more PWC's, ect..

A low light level non-CO2 tank is very nice to have IMO. You can skip the PWC's and only dose weekly while you sit back and enjoy the tank.

With your situation, I would just sit back and monitor the tank. When you see something happen, then make changes. No need to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

Many recommend less frequent water changes with low light planted tanks. Sounds like that's probably what you have, and therefore would be entirely appropriate.

That's great news! It is a low light tank. I am actually really surprised at how well the plants are doing. I guess low light plants are the livebearers of the plant world then :) At least the ones I have. I can't believe I didn't go with a planted tank sooner. It's prettier than plastic plants (and doesn't tear up my bettas fins) and it seems to be a healthier option for the fish too. I didn't think I'd really keep them alive for long, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'm addicted to plants now. Planted aquariums are awesome. :) Maybe someday down the road I'll try something a little more difficult. Some of the planted aquariums I've seen on here are absolutely stunning. No time or money for now though. Thanks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom