Water Sprite characteristics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy folks,

I recently got my 72gl up and running and at safely cycled levels. To get the planted tank process started, I found some Water Sprite at a LFS that looked healthy to start.

Has anyone had trouble planting this in the substrate? (mine is eco-complete regular). I hadn't read any warnings about planting in the substrate, but now as I dig deeper (after having trouble) I find some sites recommend it floating only, or note that it will do better floating. I have fresh growth up top and roots coming along nicely.

Now my problem, I had 3 ramshorn snails at this point, which have not really harmed any of my plants in the past. After a couple days, near the bottom of 3 of the 4 stems, it appears to be chewed out as if a miniature beaver were in there trying to bring the 'tree' down. So I first took the snails out and moved them to another small tank to hold them off for a bit, presuming they were the culprits. Last week, I found the same occurance on yet another stem. Its possible there are some baby ramshorns in there, but my angels have done an excellent job in keeping baby snails at bay, so i don't consider that an explanation.

After some further research it appears that some sites don't recommend planting it in the substrate. I'm looking to others who have Water Sprite now or inthe past, how did it handle for you? Good? Bad? High Maintenance?

I'm worried that I'm missing something like the angels or danio's being avid Water Sprite eaters, despite not being really classified heavy plant eaters.

I always plant my watersprite. Some people don't have enough light, and in those cases, floating is better. With adequate lighting, it can be planted 'normally'.
You may have emersed growth that's converting to submerged growth. During the transition the plant won't look too great.

The snails could have caused some damage, so you were wise to move them. I've not heard of danios or angels being plant nippers, but I've never kept either.

Well, as far as I could tell, the WS was grown submersed in the store, and I can vouch for them being there about a week fully submersed. However I know they don't provide anywhere near ample light in their plant tanks, so given a high turnover rate, I can't say how long they really have been submerged.

I've let the weakest one go float to the surface, and I'm now 'spot' checking the plants at night before going to bed to see if I can spot a baby snail or two munching. I haven't spotted any yet, and I spent about 30 minutes tonight studying the substrate, trying to find one lurking.

I've attached a picture that doesn't quite do it justice. If this continues, I can probably post a better one tomorrow (thursday) evening. In the picture, very near the base you can see a gouge on the left side. In the last 2 weeks I've seen this gouge go from this form, to nothing but a thing thread of material holding the root to the rest of the plant in about a days time. I expect by mid-day tomorrow this will be the case.

Feel free to let me know if this just looks like poor health, or something more dire. Once eaten a bit further the whole stem section turns a sickly gray. I remove it as soon as spotted then. Curious your opinions though.

I have a pair of angels, 4 danios, 5 platy's, and two rainbow sharks.
note - I know 2 rainbow sharks is not recommended, poor beginners choice, however they seem to have enough hiding space that they rarely fight.

Back
Top Bottom