We all know how to play this game: Name this Algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

So recently my tank is beginning to become victim to this nasty slime algae, I don't know what it is, where it came from, or how to get rid of it :(

I think it originated on my log and started to spread. I vacuum it up pretty much once a week but it comes back only a few days later. Help! Please.

Attachments

• IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 56
cyanobacteria also called blue-green algae (BGA). It's kind of like a cross between algae and bacteria. You're right to vacuum it out keep this up as much as possible.

What are your tank parameters?

How much do you feed and how often?

What kind of lights do you have and when is the last time you changed the bulbs?

cyanobacteria also called BGA. It's kind of like a cross between algae and bacteria. You're right to vacuum it out keep this up as much as possible.

What are your tank parameters?

How much do you feed and how often?

What kind of lights do you have and when is the last time you changed the bulbs?

To be honest, I'm not sure what my parameters are, I've pretty much kept the same schedule of water changes and dosing for the past year with no problems until now, kind of got slack with it I guess since everything seemed ok... (20% weekly changes, cap full of flourish comprehensive, 1/4 teaspoon KNO3, 1/8 teaspoon KHPO4)

I feed every other day and usually a few pinches of flakes, I only have 3 tetras, a neon, and two catfish in a 29 gallon.

The lights bulbs are Zoo Med T5 HO Flora sun that are just over a year old.

Thanks so much!

Do you check your nitrates regularly. BGA rears its ugly head in my tanks when I let my nitrate get low or worse, bottom out on it.

I'll let someone with more experience give you advice about nutrient/lighting/c02 ratio. I would say if it has worked well for you for over a year then I wouldn't change it too much.

I would defiantly recommend getting new bulbs, I tried to change my t5HOs on my reef tanks about every 6 months. If you have to buy online go ahead get some back ups to save on future shipping.

"Cyanobacteria is known to grow at much shorter wavelengths between 530-620 nanometers. Old bulbs and lamps will produce the lower wavelengths that will foster Cyanobacteria blooms."

Read this short article it should help you out :)
Cyanobacteria

Your welcome :fish2:

Thanks again alkane, I think this gives me the push to buy new bulbs that I've been meaning to do. aqua_chem, I do not regularly check nitrates, I dose weekly with KNO3 through. I should probably check my water given all this...

Back
Top Bottom