What are the best lights for plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can't believe it right? Bruinsbro1997 does not have a lighting system for his thirty gallon and he's had this tank for what, a year now? Talk about lame. :)
So in your guy's opinions could you give me a good lighting system for the current plants I have?
java fern
rotala rotunidula (is that how you spell it???)
hygro
anubias
two species of unidentified plants (pics will be posted soon)
Right now all the light that is in my tank is sunlight. Yep, it's just solar power that's been letting my plants grow, my tank is next to a window. However, is there a lighting system that is possibly NOT over fifty dollars? I'm on a budget and unfortunately cannot buy a 140 dollar marineland LED lighting system...

check out fishneedit.com you could also get a dual screw in fixture ($20 at petsmart petco) and use cfls thats what im doing and my plants are doing wonderful here's a pic

Attachments

• 070711002825.jpg
    070711002825.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 116
Your Lighting Question

Good morning Bruins...

Lighting is really fairly simple. 6500 K, T5 bulbs are all that's required to grow most aquatic plants. The 6500s are closest to natural daylight, that's 5500 K.

The only thing that needs to be determined is the number of bulbs you need. If you have low light plants, all you'll need is a single bulb. Plants requiring more light will need a different fixture, one that will accomodate multiple bulbs.

B

Alright, do the lights come with the hoods or do you have to buy the hoods seperately? I just bought some new plants, I would love it if you guys could ID them but unfortunately my phone is acting stupid and refuses to connect to the Internet. :(

bruinsbro1997 said:
Alright, do the lights come with the hoods or do you have to buy the hoods seperately? I just bought some new plants, I would love it if you guys could ID them but unfortunately my phone is acting stupid and refuses to connect to the Internet. :(

at FNI the bulbs come with the hood what are you planing on buyin a T5 hood

Back
Top Bottom