What does this mean? GH/KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got my test kits in today for gh/kh and phosphate. So I went ahead and did the tests
My phosphate was either .25 or .5ppm
kh was 10 drops 176ppm
GH was 22drops and isn't even on the scale on the back of the directions.
Ph is holding steady around 7.6-7.8

IMO you need to increase your phosphates to at least 1ppm. If you see any GSA down the road raising phosphates to at least 3ppm is usually enough to make it go away.

With a Kh of 10 and a Gh of 22 you have very hard water!

If your using dry ferts increase your dosage and if your using liquid ferts you might have to get Seachem Flourish Phosphate to dose.

What is the Tap to RO ratio in your WC's? And how much weekly are you changing? You might have to go much higher in your RO ratio.

Do you have a substrate or any rocks like Texas Holey rocks that could be leaching into the water?

If it's not causing a problem, I wouldn't bother changing your fert regimen. If you start getting large holes in plants or little green spots of algae, you'll know where to look though.

I would also test your tap GH/KH. A GH of 22 is quite hard indeed.

EDIT: Also, I'm not quite sure what your question is?

Last edited:
Right now I am doing 50% water changes once a week. Half is either di or ro water usually ro because it's cheaper. I was doing it at 100%, but I noticed that my ph started really crashing and I started using more tap to add more buffers back in. Since I have been doing a 50/50 mix My ph is finally where I want it. Basically I just wanted to know how to get more phosphate into the tank. I have tap sitting out to run my weekly tap test. I now test my tap more than I do my tank because it is so wonky.

Flourish comp is basically micro's so since your using a liquid ferts you'd need to use Flourish Phosphate to increase phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom