what should be in my canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have a fluval 305, it has 3 trays (all of them are cut in half). What should be in he trays? Right now I have 3 with Bio, 1 with white diamond, and 2 with black carbon.

Most people will suggest you ditch the carbon.

In my 305 (it's sw now) I run carbon on one level, GFO and biomedia and more biomedia on top.

In my FX5 fluval for FW I run carbon, zeolite, then biomedia then water polishers.

It's all up to you. Carbon has it's uses and I use it maybe half the time. Keeps the water from getting stinky. :)

I suggest a good amount of Biomedia though for your bacteria to live on.

Hope that helped a bit!

It all depends on what you like, so here's what my 305 has:

Bottom tray: Poly-fil on both sides (cleans fine particles)
Middle tray: Eheim Substrat Pro on both sides (like the bio material you got with the 305, only better IMO)
Top tray: Eheim Substrat Pro on one side/Poly-fil on the other (ploy-fil at final output to tank)

I prefer not to rum carbon, but that's a personal choice (I run it to clean out meds only)

What's white diamond?

It is made by marineland it is for removing ammonia (at least it says it removes ammonia lol)

I don't want the filter to take the ferts out of the water for the plants. I am planning on using pps.

I my fluval 305 I have Bio in the top two trays, what should be in the bottom tray? Right now I have carbon but I read the carbon will take out ferts. Do I have too much biomax?

It is polyester stuffing like the stuff that goes into pillows. You can buy a bag of it at an arts and craft store that will last you forever, just get the one that has no anti mildew agents.

Do I have to put it in a filter media bag? Do I just rinse it off once a month like I do the biomax?

I am going to get some ASAP. Would Micheals or Roberts arts and craft have it? Does it say on the package 'no additives'?

Cool! I saw that picture in the link... I don't want that stuff in my tank (good thing it is on the poly fil)

fishfanatic said:
Cool! I saw that picture in the link... I don't want that stuff in my tank (good thing it is on the poly fil)

When I get to the store latter I will post a picture of the product to make sure I get the right stuff.

fishfanatic said:
When I get to the store latter I will post a picture of the product to make sure I get the right stuff.

Here's a pic of my bag. I've used a bunch of it and I can't even tell, given it's still full lol. Fairfield is the only brand I can recommend, so read the label/content carefully.

Attachments

• 2011-06-01 11.29.35-1.jpg
    2011-06-01 11.29.35-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 99
I found the exact same stuff as you have :D ( I can't believe you made me go to a craft store lol)

Back
Top Bottom