Whats wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtoZ Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Freak
Light, water, fish, bug... what is wrong with this anubis?

Attachments

• image-1551824303.jpg
    image-1551824303.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2439512830.jpg
    image-2439512830.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 72
Maybe a deficiency. Are you dosing a liquid fertilizer? I'd cut off the leaf with brown spots that's damaged. Plants waste resources in trying to repair itself there.

Looks like you have a nitrate or phosphate deficiency for starters. They look similar so what is your nitrate and phosphate levels in the tank? What ferts are you using? Do you use liquid carbon or CO2? Nitrate levels in a planted tank should be 10-20ppm and Phosphates 1-3ppm.

Okay lemme run the tank (bowl I should say) I convinced my grandma in getting a betta and a large bowl one day... She LOVES him! she talks to him sometimes... you know grandmothers right lol. anyways, she has been buying me stuff for my cichlids for a while, so before I got off work I got a bag of fluval's planted aquarium substrate and a really nice anubis for her bowl. She has it near a window but I think she needs to get a full spectrum bulb for the lamp that is directly above the bowl... There isnt even a filter or heater, its her first fish and not to mention he is doing soooooo extremely good. hes hotten so big and so blue(except for one wierd spot on his dorsal thats green, almost scar, or birthmark like) so if I cut that leaf do a water change and add the bulb would it do much better or not really? Also I could get a small air or co2 system from work( probably used ) if itll help but remember its a bowl... Im trying to get her to take my 10g or 5.5g hex but she doesnt have somewhere to put it! she loves him and I want him to be happy lol but for now.... what should I do? Heres a photo of his location and his green spot( it doesnt look normal but he appears to be fine )! thanks alot! Also if I do cut the leaf where should I cut it? And should I keep it? maybe it will re op and grow on its own? also there are wierd stringy hair like parts, what should I do with these heres a pic of those if my phone will get a good one... And if I do end up cutting the plant, can I use kitchen scissors or knives since there is no growth care tools at my access.

Attachments

• image-422458089.jpg
    image-422458089.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1635790958.jpg
    image-1635790958.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image-950067836.jpg
    image-950067836.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 47
Betta fish don't NEED filters to thrive but having one is ideal to keep the water conditions a little better for the little fellow. If you do get one, make sure that it is low flow. Betta fish don't do well with heavy currents because of their long fins plus they come up to the surface to breathe.
I have read some people say that Betta fish don't need a heater either but I personally disagree.
As far as space goes is there anywhere she can fit a small end table? You can get one that will fit a 5 gallon tank at walmart for around $20. Honestly, she might be able to fit a 5 gallon tank on the table in the picture or maybe at least a 2.5 gallon to give him a little bit more room.

If you have a 10g or 5g hex, don't stop trying to convince her. Bettas certainly do much better when there's a filter and heater. They're hardy fish and can live in those bowls, but as mentioned, not ideal....especially if she "LOVES" the fish.

I have my betta in a planted 6g.

Betta fish don't NEED filters to thrive but having one is ideal to keep the water conditions a little better for the little fellow. If you do get one, make sure that it is low flow. Betta fish don't do well with heavy currents because of their long fins plus they come up to the surface to breathe.
I have read some people say that Betta fish don't need a heater either but I personally disagree.
As far as space goes is there anywhere she can fit a small end table? You can get one that will fit a 5 gallon tank at walmart for around $20. Honestly, she might be able to fit a 5 gallon tank on the table in the picture or maybe at least a 2.5 gallon to give him a little bit more room.

I have a stand to go with a 10 gallon I just dont think she wants a bigger tank... also I know about bettas quiet well but thanks for your advice maybe someone else will learn from that. they dont need but they will do much better. thanks but my only concern is the plant...

I was told to remove the leaves at the rhizome rather than cut the stem. If you cut the stem it will still have to die off and fall off the rhizome anyway. The leaves can't propagate, but as the rhizome grows, you can use a scalpel or razor blade to divide it into two plants.
I couldn't see from the photos- is the stringy stuff hair algae? Or fine roots growing off the rhizome?
I would try popping a root tab under the Anubias or dosing with flourish comprehensive and see how that goes. Lighting isn't the problem- Anubias are fine with low light- they won't grow as big and lush, but, you don't want it growing big anyway :)

I was told to remove the leaves at the rhizome rather than cut the stem. If you cut the stem it will still have to die off and fall off the rhizome anyway. The leaves can't propagate, but as the rhizome grows, you can use a scalpel or razor blade to divide it into two plants.
I couldn't see from the photos- is the stringy stuff hair algae? Or fine roots growing off the rhizome?
I would try popping a root tab under the Anubias or dosing with flourish comprehensive and see how that goes. Lighting isn't the problem- Anubias are fine with low light- they won't grow as big and lush, but, you don't want it growing big anyway :)

Thanks and I believe they are fine roots! def not hair! Is the rhizome the big bulky part that has roots growing under it and stems and leaves on top of it and it kinda grows outward in one direction?

Thanks and I believe they are fine roots! def not hair! Is the rhizome the big bulky part that has roots growing under it and stems and leaves on top of it and it kinda grows outward in one direction?
yup.. That's the one :)
My Anubias didn't do much for almost a year (except grow black beard algae) but now they are out-growing the pieces of wood and rocks they are growing on, and I've had to start dividing them. They were all $30-$40 each so I'm not complaining about getting free 'offspring' :lol:

Yup Thanks alot! Also while your here, do you have any knowledge on duckweed I think it is?

Yup Thanks alot! Also while your here, do you have any knowledge on duckweed I think it is?
only that most people hate it, that no pet shop or aquarium store here stocks it (but can order it in), it multiplies rapidly, and that when I got some and put it in 4 of my 6 tanks, it clogged my filter intakes. The surface agitation caused the duckweed to swirl around in the water column and was eventually drawn into the filter intakes. It's supposed to be good for using up excess nitrates, providing cover for timid fish, and subduing lighting for fish that don't love bright lights (like my catfish). If I have to choose between duckweed or surface agitation, I'm going to go with the agitation. Oh, and it dries onto the glass and is a real pain- on the lids, the rims etc. my arm got covered in it whenever I had to do anything...it was an experience!

Since the plant and Betta are in a bowl what I would do is get some Seachem Flourish Comprehensive to start with and use it in the water 1x weekly. You may need to get another type of fert later on but I'd start with that one. Cut off the bad leaves and add the fertilizer after it's weekly WC. Don't try to use CO2 or anything unless he goes in a larger tank with a filter and heater.

Back
Top Bottom