Wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought 8 4" wisteria at my lfs back in novemeber, I do believe it was. I planted it in my low light, low fert 55 gallon tank. It didnt really do much, but then I wans't expecting much until I moved it over to my 46 gallon.

I set up my 46 gallon with eco complete, dosed with regular ferts as well as excel... And suddenly my wisteria started growing like crazy. People told me it would take over my tank... I guess I was skeptical because I'm usually not that great with live plants.

Well, after trimming every three weeks, "plucking" new growths, replanting the best looking ones and tossing the smallest/weakest/stunted looking ones... I have more than 30 stalks.

This picture is right before I trimmed them today. I can't believe how much I have, how thick they are, and how *green* they are. My biggest stalks are more than 18" from root to tip. My smallest are right around 6", and I probably have about 15 of those.

If I sold them, how much do you think I could get per plant?

img_1826641_0_0c5bc282bd23f9a486b39a6c20634bcb.jpg

Wisteria is a great plant, however it's just like everything else out there - "Harder to produce = more valuable." Because Wisteria grows so easily, it is fairly prolific in the Aquarium trade.

A reference - Aquariumplants.com - Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

Which (based on what I've bought from them before) works out to be about $0.50 US per stem.

I have some wisteria, but it hasn't grown enough to trim yet. Where along the stalk did you cut it? Did you pull off any leaves before planting the new stalk?

honestly, I'm not all that careful about where I cut the stem... It hasn't seemed to matter. I usually trim any leaves that are under two inches from the roots.

Me? Which tank, lol.

This is the 46 gallon.. the Wisteria is in the back corner on each side of the tank. This pic was taken a week or so ago, so the wisteria is shorter than it is now.

img_1827444_0_a1955f7c6dfed5ca850ca414aaaef47e.jpg

Wisteria will also grow from a single leaf. It roots a bit slower but works every time. If you really want to sell bulk, planting individual leaves that you would normally just throw out will increase your stock considerably.
Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom