Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #21
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks and perhaps in a few days I will post what exactly I need to dose with my current stock.

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to godzilla Send a message via AIM to godzilla Send a message via MSN to godzilla Send a message via Yahoo to godzilla
I just started dosing greg watson ferts including the CSM+B. Im glad to have found this thread because it helps clear up that I can mix the ferts in a small cup of water then just dump it in.

Is there any certain time I should be dosing (ie. right before a long photo period, right after, etc) or just any time as long as I am consistent is fine?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I swear that I get more confused with each post I read on ferts.

Should we be feeding enough of each fert to bring up the level to the desired on that day? Or are you dosing enough over the course of the week to reach the desired level at the end of the week?

EDIT- I'm sorry for the hijack. I'll start another thread.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

godzilla - You can dose at any time in the day, as your plants will use them day or night. The only possible exception to this is micros, which might be best dosed in the morning (or at the beginning of your photo period)... Just the same, I prefer to dose in the morning, if I remember.

SparKy697 - The idea is you don't want anything to bottom out, so you are dosing each thing roughly every-other-day in higher quantity than your plants are likely using them up in that period of time. Once you get your tank within the desired ranges to start with, then you are only compensating for what your plants use, or your bacteria is eating up, etc.... HTH
dapellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it helps.

It turns out that my confusion was coming from the fact that just because we use a coumpound to feed nitrate, in this case KNO3, it contains mitrate as well as potassium. This potassium has to be accounted for when it comes time to dose the potassium itself. This relation exists in most of the calculations as well. I found the spreadsheet from tom Barr that really helps figure it all out.

Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I pretty much follow the exact same regime above with a few notes/exceptions.

1. When the regime says "hot" water. Microwaved Tank water is best because its already dechlorinated. Just be sure to mix BEFORE dosing anything that day, or else you may end up mixing your macros and micros inadvertently.

2. I use a cap full of flourish excel on Monday and Friday. Best to be used at the same time as iron, as it promotes the ferrous state of iron.

3. Saturday is for changing one bottle of my 2 bottle DIY CO2. (If you have a 2 bottle DIY CO2 system)

Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com