would this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
my mom was at walmart and bought some new flourecent bulbs for the house, and I got to looking at them and was wondering....if they would work ( I would get a lower watt as these are 60watt 8O ) but it is like 900 lumens, so I was just currious if this would be close the the same as one of those $5 screw in CF bulbs at the LFS? im just currious!

When you say flourecent, do you me normal incadescent bulbs like in most lamps/fans? If so these will do the job but throw off a LOT of heat compared to CF. On smaller tanks it might be a bad decision as it might bump the tank temp up during lighted periods, causing a swing in temp after dark that might be bad.

If you mean like those spiral flourescent bulbs that have a longer lifespan, I would assume they would be just what you want, only about 1/2 the light of a CF (which is basically just a flourescent bulb that has been bent back on itself).

Those would be fine, but do be aware you are not going to get the rated output since you'll be blocking at least 50% of the light (if not much more). CF's are preferable since they are flat which reduces the amount of light blocked by the bulb itself. I have no idea how to quantify what that would put your tank at.

There is a brand sold at Walmart in the light section called Lights of America. They have 15 watt, 20 watt, and 25 watt bulbs that are CF. They are 6500K which is great for plants. Make sure they say daylight though and not soft light.

JustOneMore20 said:
There is a brand sold at Walmart in the light section called Lights of America. They have 15 watt, 20 watt, and 25 watt bulbs that are CF. They are 6500K which is great for plants. Make sure they say daylight though and not soft light.
Ok thank you! :D

Back
Top Bottom