Wy Renegades 30gal Riparium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
As you may know if you've been following the thread on my current bog tank (linked in my signature), I've started working on a bigger version. I figured it ought to have its own thread, so decided to go ahead and get it started. This one will show the build from the very beginning.

We actually started back in January of last year on this project, but its been kind of a slow build for a variety of reasons. My goals on this one were to use a bigger aquarium so I had more water and more room for critters, and to actually get a waterproof wall between the water and the bog area.

We started out by building a wall using eggcrate, expanding foam and river rock. We cut the eggcrate to fit inside the tank, then built the actual structure using foam and river rock in an aluminum foil covered cardboard box. Unfortunately once we completed the wall and went to put it into the tank, it would fit, because of the rim. The only solution? Remove the plastic rim from the tank. We did some research and found how to do this online ~ boy was it a pain. But, we were successful.

img_1624868_0_6a37a3e6890421caf241d74e76e5829a.jpg

Once we got the rim off, we were able to insert the rock wall and silicon it into place using aquarium safe silicon.
img_1624868_1_dd879149dbbecb7b096ec5963594d5b2.jpg

We then reattached the plastic rim.
img_1624868_2_c1dae4f486018dfebb3223acce61a279.jpg

After the silicon was dry, we began wet testing to insure that the bog area would stay dry. We had to drain, dry and reapply silicon a number of times on this part, and it took several months to get this accomplished.

Once we had the wall water-tight, we used two part epoxy and aquarium sand and covered the foam and silicon joints on the wall.
img_1624868_3_17a0e7707967b2ade697cc2039dfa9b4.jpg

We finished about the time school was ending for the year, so I asked a buddy of mine who drills tanks if he could drill a couple holes for me so I could make a cutout for the filter. He said he could, but unfortunately it took him all summer to get the job done.

Last edited:
Got the two holes drilled and picked up the tank at the end of the summer. I was going to use my drimmel and a tile bit to cut out the glass between the holes, but chickened out and took it to a glass ship instead. Unfortunately, they tried to cut the glass and break it out and that didn't work out so well. I got the hole I wanted;
img_1624896_0_464467ba19a3aaa5a5a30d67a5befb0a.jpg

But unfortunately the glass cracked around it when they were breaking it out.
img_1624896_1_0999e7e925489b387ca484446c6d7270.jpg

Wish now I hadn't chickened out and had just cut it myself. Oh well, at least both cracks are above the water-line, so it will still work, it just looks broken.

Picture of the rock wall through the hole;
img_1624896_2_5c680687937a9f5f43ed4600a49dc264.jpg

Last edited:
Last weekend I dug out the equipment I had for the tank, a Aquaclear20 and a Whisper 20ii. Unfortunately, the Whisper was too big, so I had to reduce down to a 10ii. I ordered a 36" dual strip light and a single strip light, two plant bulbs and a UVB 5.0 bulb, as well as a Aquaclear50 because a student had indicated that she might be bringing in a baby common snapper to house for awhile.

Figured if a snapper was coming I better get the tank cycling so it had a home waiting for it, so I went ahead and started setting it up.

I started out by building a waterfall area around the two filters, and then layered in my substate.
img_1624926_0_1cfbce7ff05f8925ae160b0fb40175c9.jpg

For substrate, I used some aragonite sand, and then layered some gravel on top of that. The bog will contain a mixture of peat moss and sand.
img_1624926_1_744e222a05bd071192f17f9d1452743c.jpg

I then started filling the tank, using a pan to prevent the added water from disrupting the substrate.
img_1624926_2_9353d9786aacbcb8dc09002140c9c723.jpg

Here it is all filled up and running, have to leave it go over the weekend to clear up and start cycling. To help with the cycle, I used some of the rinse water from cleaning out the Aquaclear10 that is running the current bog, and added some ammonia.
img_1624926_3_fbd9728154b46055d74d0f64d6a022ed.jpg

Last edited:
Epic Fail!

Well, unfortunately, all the moving around over the summer must have loosened up something. While it ran over the weekend, water was able to leak through the retaining wall. Looks like I'll have to tear it down, locate the leak, and seal it up again.

img_1624934_0_7089613ff7398982f581d0b160e9fe67.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool so far. Unfortunate about the leak!

Your posts are always full of pics, so I'm excited to keep up on this!

Very cool so far. Unfortunate about the leak!

Your posts are always full of pics, so I'm excited to keep up on this!

Well thanks for following along. Will see what I can do one keeping up with the pictures on this. As for the leak, it'll fix, just a matter of finding it.

Definitely following!
I'm going to start a.. sort of similar build with a ten gallon for fire belly toads. :)
Do you have any thoughts on what you're going to stock it with?

Definitely following!
I'm going to start a.. sort of similar build with a ten gallon for fire belly toads. :)
Do you have any thoughts on what you're going to stock it with?

Ah, excellent! Be sure and keep me posted when you start the actual build so that I can follow along.

Not totally; kicking around several different concepts at this time. If I can get the dividing wall water tight, then I will attempt once again to maintain some assorted carnivorous plants within the bog. That would likely tempt me to research and inport aquatic plants and critters from the area where the carnivorous plants are found (like in the SE U.S.)

On the other hand, if a common snapping turtle were to show up (which appears to be unlikely at this point), then I would more likely go with something pretty similar to the existing bog, but with the addition of some taller plant species.

Will do! I definitely miss having amphibians, my last one was an ACF that I absolutely adored. She was a monster though haha. Gonna go for two FBTs and maybe a newt.
Carnivorous plants would be pretty awesome! I used to have a pitcher plant, but it was super difficult for me to keep alive so now I just stick to succulents. :rolleyes:

Will do! I definitely miss having amphibians, my last one was an ACF that I absolutely adored. She was a monster though haha. Gonna go for two FBTs and maybe a newt.
Carnivorous plants would be pretty awesome! I used to have a pitcher plant, but it was super difficult for me to keep alive so now I just stick to succulents. :rolleyes:

ACF = ? (sorry can't keep up on the acronymes). FBTs = Fire Bellied Toads I assume. A newt would be cool as well.

I have some of the same issues with the carnivorous plants, best luck I had was actually by keeping them inside a empty 55 gallon aquarium with the lid sealed and sitting in a container of water - seemed to work out pretty well. I'm convinced that it can be done in a aquarium like this, just have to figure out all the details. For instance, I might have to go with a full glass top in order to help keep humidity levels up. Ah well, something else to research a bit ;). Succulents are nice ~ and very forgiving.

African Clawed Frog. Like African Dwarfs but terrifying.
They're right little monsters. Mine was about six inches when she died. Ate every fish that was ever with her.
Best of luck with that those plants ! I'm definitely going to need to get some ideas for keeping them alive for future tank plans. ;)

Got the tank drained today and moved the aquaclear onto an established minnow/crayfish tank in order to allow it to finish cycling. Unfortunately this proved to be a bit harder than I expected, as removing all the water from the "pool" side has proven to be impossible without removing and remixing all the substrate which I have no desire to do. Since I can't remove all the water from the "pool" water continues to seep over to the "bog" side. Looks like evaporation will have to be the final tool for water removal and that may take awhile. Since the barrier wall will have to be completely dry before new silicon can be applied, it may be quite some time before that can happen. In the mean time perhaps a few pictures from the existing minnow/crayfish tank will help tide you all over . . .

img_1626689_0_a31cfcea7cfe8d120498e99c959a60d2.jpg

img_1626689_1_4da1e20196b5f453564f3b6562a1de3d.jpg

img_1626689_2_a35392a0f990e23455463484cab5e747.jpg

img_1626689_3_948425747b63023104b576ee999d78e2.jpg

img_1626689_4_caa555598e35fe94652865dfbbe67f4a.jpg

img_1626689_5_1171a2f8650af27831b7f596a4a7d6eb.jpg

African Clawed Frog. Like African Dwarfs but terrifying.
They're right little monsters. Mine was about six inches when she died. Ate every fish that was ever with her.
Best of luck with that those plants ! I'm definitely going to need to get some ideas for keeping them alive for future tank plans. ;)

Wow, not familiar with those at all. Sounds like quite a terror, so I believe I'll avoid them LOL.

Very cool pics! I like those crays a lot, and the minnows too!

Thank you, if you like those, you should check out the 20gal bog. Lots of interesting shots in there as well. Although, there are lots of "bug" shots :angel:. J/K ;)

I knew that, LOL. I saw the post and was so facinated by the pictures I guess I forgot to read the rest of the description. Sorry about that.

Its all good, just wanted to clarify so somebody didn't think I'd set that tank up and stocked it like that overnight.

So good news, while working on the 40TT I was able to use some left over Great Stuff Pond Foam to go ahead and finish sealing the barrier here. Didn't leave it long term, as now that I've got it sealed I'm rethinking some of the other parts.

Been doing a good bit of research on ripariums since Mumma.of.two started hers;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/8g-riparium-first-ever-attempt-190250.html

And I've decided this is a route I want to try and go with this one. I have a love of orchids as well as aquariums, so I'll probably be trying to combine some different things in this one.

I know I want to put in some type of mist or fog system, as that will be a necessary component for the epiphytes. I'm leaning toward the fog system, as I want to leave it with a screen top and don't want to over do the water on the walls.

I'm considering drilling another hole in the top left to allow me to run the tubing from the ZooMed canister filter into a waterfall/small pond in the terrestrial area. I'm also considering adding some rocks with the GS Pond Foam along the back and side walls with some anchor points and shelves to allow for a greater incorperation of epiphytes on the rocks.

I'm thinking the tank is tall enough to allow incorperation of some native equisetum.

Going to revise the right side to get a more permanent structure for the HOB and may do something totally different with the Whisper as well.

I'm really torn between going native which would allow to not run a heater, and going tropical which would require a heater.

I've added a couple pieces of driftwood that I really like, both are cottonwood branches, which is a native hardwood, but not sure how it will hold up long term. Might have to look a little more, as I like the idea of several pieces actually sticking up out of the water.

Try to post up an updated picture here a bit later.

Last edited:
Here's an updated shot with the driftwood. You'll have to overlook the right and left ends, as both are still under construction.

img_1775118_0_f88c026cc07a357d8cd1858726f580b8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom