Neon Tetra Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

killrsheep

Aquarium Advice Regular
Submitted by Killrsheep

Scientific Name: (Paracheirodon Innesi)
Common name: Neon Tetra
Category: Characidae
Genus: Paracheirodon

Origin: Neon tetras are native to south american blackwater rivers, such as the Solimoes river in southeastern Colombia, eastern Peru and western Brazil.

Main ecosystem:
They are found in Blackwater streams that are surrounded by forested areas where the stream current becomes weaker, ph levels for this ecosystem are slightly acidic due to organic decay from the forest, light is also a factor i believe both for behaviour and breeding since the forest canopy allows only for low light conditions.

(confirmation needed)
All of these factors make for the bright colors of Neon Tetras, since social behaviour is such an important survival skill for this kind of fish, they are shoaling fish and use color to comunicate with each other in such low visibility enviroments, hence it is said they will lose their bright colors if kept in clearwater conditions.
(/confirmation needed)

Salinity: Freshwater
Temperment: Extremely peaceful

Diet: Omnivore, although in the wild this species feed on very small invertebrates, in the aquarium they will eat dried flakes along with small died and frozen foods

Care: These fish should never be used to cycle a tank, these are delicate fish and require an established tank to survive, it is also advisable to add driftwood to the tank as it will help lower the ph and darken the water a bit

pH: there is contradictory data on the web and LFS advice regarding this subject, i will not claim to know the absolute truth but with the information i have id say from (5.0 - 7.8), brighter colors are kept with an acidic enviroment but bear in mind that this species has been commerically bred for a long time and they will not die under neutral water conditions. also remeber, it is most critical not to shock your fish with sudden water parameter changes than it is to keep them on the edge of the acceptable parameter range

Hardness: these fish require rather soft water parameters (4-15°H)

Temperature: i ran into the same contradictions as i did with pH, id say (21°C - 28°C) which is (70°F-84°F), now before you tell me that im crazy because that range allows for rather hot temperatures hear me out: this time of year temperatures where i live are in the range of 27°-32° throughout the day and most importantly they dont drop too much at night, i DO understand that in northern countries temperature drops too much at night and that may be the reason why its impractical to keep them at lower temps, however chillers are quite a bit more expensive than heaters, i have asked around the forrums regarding this topic and positive comments that can help us all are very.. very welcome :angel:

Potential Size: around 1.5 inch (3.8cm)
Water region: Middle & Bottom for the most part
Activity: Diurnal
Lifespan: 5-8 years, ive read info claiming as much as 10 years but i'd like confirmation on that

Color: ah yes! color! :D this specie has great colors, the neon tetra has an iridescent blue horizontal-ish stripe across each side, starting from the eye going slightly towards the dorsal fin and then onto the tail fin, thay also have a red stripe on the bottom that goes from the mid-section onto the rear ("fake neon tetras" are in fact cardinal tetras wich have the red stripe along the bottom of the entire body), the belly is silver

Mouth: normal

Sexing:
it is difficult to sex young Neons but the female should be rounder and thus the blue line should curve a bit more.

Acclimation: i did 15min temperature acclimation (float the bag on the tank), and then 3 sets of 5 minute water chemistry acclimation (add 1/3 of what you have on the bag from your tank and wait 5 minutes), then grab them carefully with your net and place them on your tank, finally discard the bag water. :fish2:

Breeding: pending, if anyone wants to help with this one that would be awesome, ive found some weird info on the web that id rather not post since i dont know much about it, i can tell you that it will need a dedicated tank for breeding

Comments: These fish are generally sold as "starter fish", however they are quite a delicate species and in general will not survive in a tank that has not been properly "established", popular belief is that the water parameter acceptable range is rather narrow but these fish can "survive" (please note the quotes) on slightly different parameters, just make sure you have stable parameters, however their colors will fade, behaviour might change etc....

It is very common to find neon tetras with corydoras as companions, as they are both quite peaceful and other listed tankmates are:
- guppies
- other tetras
- rasboras
- Mollies
- Platies

Neon tetras can survive in rather small tanks, a group of at least 6 is often recommended for them to feel confortable, the one inch per gallon rule kind of applies to neon tetras, but please dont go stuffing 16 Neons on a 16g tank

i am no expert, and all comments are welcome, i am aware there is another profile but its not on this "template" and also it would be nice to collaborate and make a full profile with all the info on neons since they are quite "common"

About NTD (neon tetra disease):
this disease is named after neon tetras since it was first diagnosed on this species however it can spread to other species, first signs of the disease is "not shoaling" with the other fish, there is no known cure for this disease which is caused by a parasite which enters the body of the fish through the mouth and burrows itself in the walls of the gut of the fish before attacking its muscles producing cysts, (this is the stage where you first notice white patches, the only thing you can actually do is to remove the fish from the tank.

But fear not... there is still a chance that your fish might have "fake" NTD which is caused by a bacteria therefore it can be treated with antibacterial products, do remeber that you still have to "quarantine" your fish while it is on treatment

Sources:
Wikipedia:
Aqua-fish.net
Seriouslyfish.com
Fishlore

Good write up and well pointed out that neons are delicate fish. They tend to be the first fish that beginners put into a new tank.

This week i had an audit at work and i failed to feed them for a full day also my pwc was about 3 days delayed, when i got back many of my fish were bloated (i even thought of pregnancy) they also seemed... just weird, so i fed them and did a pwc (20% or less)

Today all of my fish look healthy again, they look "in shape"

i dunno, maybeh i even dreamt about it (stress does funny things) , poor fishies, i will keep a closer eye on them :fish2:

So many people over look the neon tetra when they want a colorful schooling fish. What could be better than a small peaceful fish with the colors of our country?

I had a school of 8 in a 37 gallon tank and love them. When you have a decent ammount of plants in the tank their colors look great

Nice write up :)

FWIW, we were sold neon tetras as "starter" fish by LFS. By our experience, and that of our fish, our 3 neons have proven to be hardy and adaptable during a 2 month fish-in cycle - but we know better now having found AA!

I think some notes regarding habitat, tank setup and stocking recommendations would be good given that this is a social, community species and their overall health and happiness can be influenced by conditions and group size.

I have read from many sites that they are more suited for an "established tank", now when people say this do they really mean a tank that is fully cycled? I am about to start my first aquarium (which I plan to do a fishless cycle) and I planned on adding a school of these after my Cory's.

Also great write up, the Acclimation part was really helpful!

I have read from many sites that they are more suited for an "established tank", now when people say this do they really mean a tank that is fully cycled? I am about to start my first aquarium (which I plan to do a fishless cycle) and I planned on adding a school of these after my Cory's.

Established = cycled, yes.

We did a fish-in cycle with neon tetras. Our conditions were neither optimal nor caustic, but the fish did fine and still are.

Established = cycled, yes.

We did a fish-in cycle with neon tetras. Our conditions were neither optimal nor caustic, but the fish did fine and still are.

Ok thanks for the clarification!

I have a suggestion/question of sorts. From what I can find, is it correct to assume that Neon Tetra have a low bioload?

Ok thanks for the clarification!

I have a suggestion/question of sorts. From what I can find, is it correct to assume that Neon Tetra have a low bioload?

I can't scientifically confirm, but in my brief experience keeping neon tetras, it seems yes, low bioload.

I've heard some people rate them as 1/2 a fish when considering stocking following the "gallon per inch of fish" rule.

I can't scientifically confirm, but in my brief experience keeping neon tetras, it seems yes, low bioload.

I've heard some people rate them as 1/2 a fish when considering stocking following the "gallon per inch of fish" rule.

According to the "gallon per inch of fish rule" you could keep a 6" fish in a 6g aquarium...throw this rule out of the window,not anywhere close to being an accurate way to judge what size fish should go in any certain size aquarium...

Gaseous exchange method for sensibly stocking tanks. This takes up anomalies with odd shape tanks, a tall square tank vs a long oblong one with equal amounts of water are capable of sustaining quite different amounts of the same fish.

Different fish have a different mass and bio output. This should also be considered.

Also tank length and fish length should be considered on adult fish size. This will prevent problems long term.

Thanks for the info! I have some in my tank and I wanted more information on them

I would say cycled plus running for 3-6 months to be completely established in our case.

I would say cycled plus running for 3-6 months to be completely established in our case.

Agreed,withe exception there were no disease/fungal outbreaks...some meds have been known to affect the bio-filter when in use...

Back
Top Bottom