New Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazy760

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Made the switch from gravel to sand, man what a difference. Still a little cloudy but its only been 30 minutes. I like the appearance of sand alot more lets see how the maintance is though.

QuietPlotter said:
How did you do that? Lol. Did you have fish and decor?

Yes I did have fish and decor lol I put the fish in big rubbermade thing made for storage put my heater and a airwand. Then went got my hands dirty takin out old gravel, cleaned out the sand over and over then I cleaned it some more put it in the tank slowly I use all the old tank water again and kept my filter wet again total time about 4 hours

IME the sand was a lot easier to clean because the poo and stuff was all on the top not stuck in the million little crevasses between the gravel

Did you have any live plants to begin with? I'm typically a gravel substrate kind of guy but I've seen a few amazing looking setups with sand.

RedFlame said:
Did you have any live plants to begin with? I'm typically a gravel substrate kind of guy but I've seen a few amazing looking setups with sand.

No I didnt have any live plants. I have also seen very nice tanks with sand and live plants

Derekkaine said:
I picked up some play sand at home depot 6bucks for about 70 lbs.

I also used play sand a tan color it took forever to clean but 50lbs for $3.76 well worth it

I use petco sand it might be more expensive but it's made for aquariums and I didn't have to clean it I just dumped it in the tank.

The only thing I would be careful of is buying sand that could possibly raise your PH that is made for a "aquarium". I see this a lot at some box store pet shops.

Back
Top Bottom