125g FOWLR build thread (First time SW!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought a 125g tank, filtration system, stand, and lighting system from an old aquarist on CL. So far I have the stand and filtration, but I'm not picking up the tank until Wednesday.
The guy I bought it from gave me two five gallon buckets of live rock and one bucket of sand for free. The LR has a lot of nice corraline algae on it. Good stuff.
The filtration system I got is awesome as well, about a 40g sump system with protein skimmer and refug
I went out today and picked up three bags of play sand. Home depot didn't have any PFS, but I've used this particular sand in the past and it's worked fine. I also got a twenty pound bag of black sand. I think with the black sand and aragonite sand mixed in it will look pretty natural.
I also bought enough salt mix for 150g, which will hopefully be enough for the sump and main tank.
I'm going to definitely buy some base rock but I'm not sure how much yet, I'll have to decide once I get the tank and the rock I have now into it.
I'm going to have to build a canopy to house the lighting system. The guy that had the tank before me had it hooked to the cieling, and our ceiling is slanted so it won't work. It will also keep the cats out, so that's a plus haha.

Here's my tenative fish list, please let me know if you think it's overstocked or incompatable or anything
Picasso Trigger
Harlequin Tusk
Horseshoe Crab
Seargent Major Damelfish (x2-3?)
Yellow Goatfish
Tang (x2)

If you have any suggestions for tangs I'd love to hear them! I haven't decided on what kind I want.
Also if you know of any large or dwarf angelfish that would work that would be awesome as well

I'll upload pictures of everything I have so far tomorrow morning, and then more on Wednesday after I pick up the tank.
I'm going to take this very slowly since this will be my first SW tank. Go big or go home, right? ;)

Thanks in advance!

Picked up the tank yesterday in Gastonia so now I (hopefully) have everything I need to get started
img_1603569_0_2608ec3179aeb032641b6170d567c88d.jpg

Live rock in five gallon buckets. I've got some really nice pieces in there but I am going to need to get more, most likely dry tonga branch.
img_1603569_1_80c179608e0c58b7bfae03ec7368af57.jpg

The cherry stand and lighting system
img_1603569_2_c6bbdc0f5202198a1cce761952d35f5f.jpg

And the tank that's in the process of being filled with sand.

I'll upload more as I continue the build!

Also a reminder that any fish suggestions would be loved!

Well I have all my sand in the tank. I actually probably put too much. I wanted to go with a medium sandbed at around 3" deep, but at the moment it's probably 4"
I also got all my plumbing done today as well. Definitely been a full day of work on it (washing sand alone took HOURS. The joys of using play sand)
The sand is pretty interesting looking since I added the 20lbs bag of black sand. It's kind of salt&pepper looking. It's definitly going to look lighter when I get the metal halides over it but I still think it'll make the fish and rock "pop"

My mom kind of dropped a bombshell though. She wants it to be a reef tank, but she can't quite seem to understand that you can't put just any fish in a reef. She's even threatening to put fake corals in it and I really don't want that. I'll try to convince her that FOWLR is the way to go since it's our (I say our only because she's paying for some of it lol) first SW tank. Maybe I'll just get a 30gallon tank to turn into a reef for her as a surprise. But I wouldn't be shocked if she forces me to make this a reef tank. Not a problem for me as long as she's paying haha!

I'll upload more pics tomorrow. I've sketched out an eventual aquascape that I'll put up as well. I've probably got 20-30lbs of live rock so I will definitely be on the lookout for some great dry rock. And I need to pick up some LR rubble for the sumppp. So much to do!

Here are some new pictures. It's cycling right now, hopefully it will be quick, I can't wait to get some fish in it! :)
img_1611037_0_abdca2df89303f38f1b26ee8076ffd7e.jpg

Filling it up with water, with the original free LR

img_1611037_0_abdca2df89303f38f1b26ee8076ffd7e.jpg

Full tank shot. The right side of the tank is pretty much done, although I'd like to get some more branched pieces for some height. The left side is going to be some shelf pieces and branch. I'm only keeping some dead corals from my collection of fossils over there right now. I think it looks nice so far, seeing as I didn't pay for any of the rock hehe :>

Looking good. I am watching this one. If it were me, I would listen to Mom. After all, Mom is always right. :) Besides, reef tanks are so pretty if done right. :) Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Looks awesome. What lights are you going with?

I have a metal halide set up, I need to get started on a canopy to house them.
I'll probably just get some sturdy wood blocks to set it on the tank until I can get a canopy finished.

Sergeant majors are pretty aggressive! My teacher has a huge one that killed a stingray. I have a small one though and he's pretty cool. Make sure to add him last.

Looking good. I am watching this one. If it were me, I would listen to Mom. After all, Mom is always right. :) Besides, reef tanks are so pretty if done right. :) Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Thanks! She actually decided that we would keep this one a FOWLR for at least a few years, but we have the lighting and equipment to turn it into a reef at any time (y)
I am going to get her a biocube to be a nano reef though, haha

Just remember, depending on the fish you man not be able to go reef later unless you rehome the fish. Many are not reef safe.

Yeah if and when we make it a reef it'll be several years and only have reef-safe fish. :>

Here's a quick sketch of the aquascape I'd eventually like to have:
img_1611159_0_c3a2ebeaf3fb759605c6c58d573997fb.jpg

I'm going to order some shelf and tonga branch dry rock from BRS

And the seargent majors will probably be added first at around an inch in size. I'll be getting a trio to hopefully keep their aggression to a minimum. I was planning on adding the trigger last. I may rearrange the order though if you think I should

Readings from today:
Ammonia : .5 ppm
NitrIte : .5 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

And I haven't added anything, that's just from the LR. I need to go pick up some ammonia from the hardware store.

Sergeant majors are pretty aggressive! My teacher has a huge one that killed a stingray. I have a small one though and he's pretty cool. Make sure to add him last.

Sgt Majors should be put in first being they are the smallest and pose the least threat if he's putting in a harlequin tusk, trigger and 2 tangs.

ErrolP said:
Sgt Majors should be put in first being they are the smallest and pose the least threat if he's putting in a harlequin tusk, trigger and 2 tangs.
Actually you're right lol. Didn't think of the stocking, only the fact that they were going to put in Sargent majors haha

I was either going to put the sgt majors or the goatfish in first. The goatfish is more in the peaceful spectrum, but it gets much larger so I'm unsure on that. The sgt majors will probably go in first, then goatfish, then tangs, then tusk, then trigger.
Hopefully that's the best order to do it.

What type of tangs are you getting and what type of triggers? The reason I'm asking is because my yellow tang killed my bluejaw trigger. It was constantly beat up by the yellow tang :( so sad. My trigger was bolder however, and wasn't ever bullied.

We've decided to definitely get a Kole tang, and are considering powder blue, whitecheek, sailfin, and yellow tangs. We'll get 2-3 tangs total, likely two.
I got some ammonia today so the cycle's been given a kick start. Hopefully things progress quickly.

Back
Top Bottom