3 x 175W MH or 3 x 250W MH - what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

targaboy78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's the rundown;

I have a 175 gal Oceanic Bowfront (Reef-ready)
Dimensions are 72½"L x 24"W x 28½"H

I am interested in this "type" of fixture but haven't decided on the 'horsepower'.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=zhm-hdp63
It's a 72" fixture - 3 x 175W MH 5500K with 4-55W PC for 1449.00 CDN + taxes (approx $1275 US)
upgraded to 175W MH 10,000K + 189.00 1638.00 CDN + taxes (approx $1442 US)
upgraded to 250W MH 10,000K + 364.00 1813.00 CDN + taxes (approx $1596 US)

Here's my dilema;

It will eventually be a reef tank, but for now it will start it's life as a FOWLR. However, I don't want to be making large lighting purchases every couple of years. The height being 28½" may be a factor.

I eventually would like Soft, LPS, SPS, Clams, etc...

I have access to one of these units (3 x 175W MH 10,000K with 4-55W PC) Brand New for $900 CDN + taxes (Approx $793 US)

I'd save about $649 US over this listed price.
more importantly I'd save $803 US over the 3 x 250W model.

I guess my 3 real questions are;

1> Would I be limiting myself if I stick to 3 x 175W MH ?

2> Would the depth make a difference or could corals with a higher light requirement be situated directly under the light and maybe higher on the LR?

2> Is the 3 x 250W worth $803 US more than the 3 x 175W?

TIA

I have the same exact tank you have. I have been running 2 175 watt m/h on the system for 6months...not nearly enough light. I am going to be purchasing Cool Touch lighting system w/ 3 400watt m/h off Ebay for 389.00. I have a CoolTouch system right now and am very happy w/ it except for the low wattage. I would suggest that you take a look at those. Keep in mind, they do not come w/ the bulbs. I will end up paying about 600.00 for the new lighting system.

Question 1. Yes..you will be able to keep softies and LPS only.
Question 2. that will work, but it becomes impractical after a while.
Question 3. Not if you go w/ cool touch...You can get the whole system for that.

Hey SquishyFish,

I've seen those on eBay but I live in BC, Canada and the shipping, duties, taxes etc... makes it a tough pill to swallow. Not to mention that the customs guys are gonna think I'm upgrading my grow-op. :lol:

A local Big Al's has a 175G Bow Front setup with a 72" fixture and directly in front of it in the center (where the bow is) they have an additional pendant MH.

If I go that route and make the pendant a 250W or 400W.... do you think that would help matters?

Paul.

FYI Cool Touch lighting ships or can ship out of Canada I believe ontario to be exact.. I have gotten packages from them from canada.. I would go with at least the 250w if not 400w..

HTH<
James

I live in Kamloops B.C and I've orderd form Cooltouch and they sent me the parcel out of there warehouse in Ontario.
No duties :D , fast delivery and friendly service

On that 175 I would put no less that 3 400watt m/h if you want the ideal set up and can affor it. Otherwise, go w/ the best that you can afford.

Squishy

cj10488, matty

So something like this configuration?...

I haven't bought it, I just walked through the checkout and grabbed a screenshot.

Back
Top Bottom