Help- what i am doing wrong? Is it me or one of those things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Singhstyle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Sorry for long thread but I want to give you an idea of current status.

Some details about my tank
- tropical - temp 25 degrees
- tank size- 275l ~ 72 gallons
- heavy planted tank with c02
- up an running for 3mths and fully cycle using using fishless cycle
- seneye+ monitors constantly the Nh3, Ph and temp 24hrs a day

- ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 5 ( i also have purgien in the filter as my tap water is 20ppm!). I test once a day as a paranoid newbie

- -ph 7.7-8 (tap water is 7.5). It drops when the co2 come on but never lower than 7.5. All the fish were bought from local stores that used the same tap water etc

Fish stock
6 honey gourami
6 zebra danio
12 neon tetras
4 mickey mouse platy
12 Harlequin rasbora
6 white cloud minnow
4 marble molly
6 dwarf rainbow fish
8 guppys
3 bronze cory
3 peppered cory

- i am thinking about adding britstlenose catfish (x2)

- some fish have laid eggs on the windows as well

Situation.
3 weeks ago i was looking at one dwarf rainbow fish and molly that appeared to have some white spot. I didn't not have a hospital tank at the time , so I used Interpet white spot and dose very careful the whole tank after removing the carbon filter and turned up the heat. I also added some aquarium salt.

Two days after i noticed that a honey gourami was just laying on its side and was struggling (it want sick before). I kept watching and my gut feeling was it was in a bad way way (when i went to catch with a net it just laid there) so i decided to humanly put it down following the how to advice in this forum. I left the tank for a further week and nothing else happened. I did a 30% water change and replace the carbon. During this water change I found one guppy dead after the water change- it was the most recent purchase so a bit weird. I spoke to the lfs and he said it just happens and gave me a replacement one - since then all fine.

The crux of the my question:

Yesterday i notice that one honey gourami has a small 'cotton like' thing on its mouth very tiny. I looked this website and it could be fungus. Fearing the worse, i bought a small tank ( 3gallons , filter, air pump) and set it up as a hospital tank. I used some material from my main filter to seed the hospital tank filter and also dosed with nitrafin cycle. I netted both fish (eventually !) and put them in the hospital tank. Water parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 ppm nitrates (i used the water from the main tank to fill the hospital tank).

All was fine for a few hours . I then dosed 2ml of interpet anit fungus ...... then it happened... the honey gourami that was swimming around before became very lethargic and was laying at bottom. It was struggling to even swim and I checked the filter flow in the hospital tank and it was mild. It is tiny in-water filter

The rainbow fish was swimming around fine. I kept watching and worried (looked on this site) that i had overdose meds, i did a 50% water change in the hospital tank and put in fresh water (after adding nutra aqua+). I kept watching and the gourami went from bad to worse and was just laying there. In the end it dies 20mins after...

The rainbow fish was swimming around so i thought I will save one at least but then it became erratic suddenly ( 30mins after the gourami had died). Erratic in the way that it was at the surface of the water breathing but it body was 45 degrees (if that makes sense).It then kept droping and risiing and I thought oh no... I grabbed a bucket and filled with the main tank water and netted the fish it,., too later it swam around a bit but then went upside down and died. I test the hospital tank water and it has .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate. The airstone was on and the surface agitated so could not have been lack of oxygen.

What did i do wrong?? I ask this so i can educate myself as I felt i was doing the right thing but they still died. Did i do the right thing and it just 'one of things' i have to get used to as part of this hobby or is their something I could have done instead.

I triple checked the dose for the medicine and in fact i the dose says put in 1ml per 5litres and as the hospital tank in 12 litres I only put in 2ml so clearly not over dosed.

Advice from the 'sages' would be welcome as a bit demoralised ...

update : i did a usual water change 20% . i noticed one danio was having trouble staying up right. I netted it into the hospital tank (cleaned) and am watching . it seems to be zipping around. I will wait for a day and watch. Water parameters in main tank are ammonia =0, nitrites = 0, nitrates =<10 and ph 7.36.

It sounds like your doing a great job and covering just about all of your bases!!! The only thing that I can point out is that you likely did not qt any of your fish as you were stocking your new tank- few people do. I strongly advise qt'ing any new fish in the future before introducing them into your main tank to prevent the introduction of disease. I would keep a close eye on your fish now to make sure there are no strange symptoms and be prepared to act quickly if something arises.

In respect to the gourami & the rainbow fish, it sounds like they may have had a bad reaction to the med that was added. I do not know if it was an overdose or the med was expired (or something else), but for them to die shortly after adding it sounds very suspicious. I am not familiar with the ingredients in this product to say if it may have had an effect on these particular fish but I would use caution with it in the future. Keep up the good work and let us know if we can be of further help!! :)

Back
Top Bottom