300 gal shark tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamB38

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone,
I have a friend who has a 300 gallon shark tank. His current livestock are as follows:
1 bamboo shark
1 cortez stingray
1 imperator angel (adult)
5 blue-green chromis
2 ghost eels
1 zebra moray eel
1 snowflake moray eel
3 tangs...
1 clown trigger

he told me recently that he wanted to convert the tank into a reef set-up. am I right in saying that he probably cant do that? are there any corals that these guys wont munch on?

thanks!

hey everyone,
I have a friend who has a 300 gallon shark tank. His current livestock are as follows:
1 bamboo shark
1 cortez stingray
1 imperator angel (adult)
5 blue-green chromis
2 ghost eels
1 zebra moray eel
1 snowflake moray eel
3 tangs...
1 clown trigger

he told me recently that he wanted to convert the tank into a reef set-up. am I right in saying that he probably cant do that? are there any corals that these guys wont munch on?

thanks!

Not to be a downer but that tank is overstocked. Plus those chromis will be snacks sooner or later. No he will not be able to convert to a reef with that stock. The trigger and angel will munch on coral. Plus the ray and shark need an open sand bed which doesn't allow for a ton of live rock in a tank that size.

Your best bet, if your friend wants to try something, would be soft corals like mushrooms or something similar. I definitely wouldn't spend a lot of money on that project though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many corals need high lighting. Sharks and eels are secretive and nocturnal creatures that don't like bright light.

Agree the shark and ray need that soft sand bed unless he stacks all the liverock in a corner somewhere

Back
Top Bottom