40 Gallon Long Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I just set up my 40 gallon fowlr and I wanted to check in to make sure that I was doing everything right and I am completely open to suggestions.

I am going to post a picture below of my tank and could someone tell me if the ppowerhead placement is right, if the protein skimmer placement is right, and whatever you think is wrong.

2 power heads koralia 600
1 heater Hydor theo 200w
1 protein skimmer slim skim nano
15 lbs live rock (fully cured)
25 lbs dry rock
25 lbs ocean direct sand

Should I have a regular hob filter just for more biological filtration? Please post anything that you think needs changing because I want this tank to be without faults. Also should I get another powerhead? POST SUGGESTIONS!!!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403628535.783681.jpg

Other powerhead is on top right corner facing downwards

40 gallon long fowlr cycling currently

A hob filter would be for mechanical filtration, not biological. However, yes I think it's a good idea, so you can run media too.

As for flow, you are aiming for maybe 30x the turnover rate in a FOWLR tank.
30 x 40= 1200 Gph, so you are basically on point.

As for your rock, it doesn't seems to be too pores, which is fine, but a more pores rock would have been better. This will leave plenty of swimming room for fish.

The powerhead placement is fine, however I like to point them at each other to create a random flow pattern.

I also noticed you are using Dr. Tim's to cycle, what day are you on?

I haven't started using it because I am going away for one month and I'm cycling it then. I will use it after I get back

I should I start using it now then?

I leave on Friday and my family will take care but they aren't the most talented when it comes to fish keeping

I leave on Friday and my family will take care but they aren't the most talented when it comes to fish keeping

You should start the cycle now, and most likely the family will have to do a little work for 2 days.
On average it takes 6 days to cycle using Dr. Tim's. Follow the instructions that are on the website, and let the family know what they will have to go before you leave. It shouldn't be anything complicated. Most likely a simple parameter test on day 6.
Then, once they/you are sure it is cycled, pick out a fish, and you can add him/her too the tank.
YOU make the selection, and have your LFS put it on hold. They can come pick it up when it is done.
They will simply have to feed the fish, and do a water change once every other week of 5 gallons.

I won't make them put a fish in yet but I will start the cycle today. I am thinking of a joke tang, ocellaris clownfish, and something small as my stock....how does it sound?

I won't make them put a fish in yet but I will start the cycle today. I am thinking of a joke tang, ocellaris clownfish, and something small as my stock....how does it sound?

A joke tang? I've never heard of that!
You will have to add something to keep the bacteria colonized. Unfortunately, that's the only way, or easiest at least.

Sorry auto correct I meant kole tang

Oh okay

Sorry, that's how I felt years ago when I found out they needed big tanks.. At least you have something to dream of.
For the meanwhile, there are plenty of very cool fish to stock the 40b

Have your wife look at flasher wrasses or fairy wrasses, tons of beautiful colors and are a peaceful and size appropriate option for your tank. You could also get away with one of the dwarf angels in a 40b

I actually have a 40 long I heard that a kole tang could live in a 4ft tank

It isn't so much the length of the tank. Tangs are open water swimmers, so they have to have a lot of room all around. It just won't be possible unfortunately.

Just looking at flasher wrasse's and the fairy wrasse's and do you have any suggestions on which ones because there are large variety of them.

I love carpenters flashers. Favorite fish I've ever owned, but due to their very docile personality they should be the first fish added.

Back
Top Bottom