Ahhh quartine tank disaster help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I decided to try out the QT tank for my new fish...and I don't think it is doing them any good...I just tested the water and since I have added them yesterday the ammonia went up to 0.50 PPM!

I am thinkin of taking them out and acclimating them to my main tank tonight and putting them in there, as the parameters there are fine.

Thoughts?

To set up the QT tank I used water from my display which did go through a cycle and They had only been in the tank for 36 hours and it shot up from 0 to 0.50 PPM.

Should I just plan on doing daily water changes with the QT for 2 weeks?

How big is the QT and how many fish are in there? Keep in mind, the size and amount/size of fish will affect the parameters. I would watch the water and definitely do some PWCs.

Only 10 gallons, I have 2 fish in there...one is 3" and the other is 1.5".

I just finished mixing a barrel of saltwater how long do you think I should aerate it before adding it to the tank? Keeping in mind that the tank conditions are not good and I am running a maxi jet powerhead with the air hose attached to it (in the newly mixed water barrel).

Right now, I would be more concerned with the QT's parameters. I would suggest, match the temp and salinity (maybe even drop it a little bit) to reduce the stress of the fish, get the QT as stable as possible. I wouldn't be really concerned about areation ATM. Of course, if anyone else has input that would be great.

just using water from a cycled tank will do almost nothing for you. what you really need is a physical surface for the de-nitrifying bacteria to live on. in your main tank that physical surface is your rock and your filter media.

i will assume your QT is bare bottom, with some pvc fittings for fish to hide in, and a basic HOB filter. if that is the case, you NEED to ensure that your filter media is colonized with de-nitrifying bacteria BEFORE you add your fish to the QT. The way to do this is to either keep a filter cartridge in the main tank (or sump) and pull it out when you need to do your QT.... or to provide some live rock or something in your QT.

if you cant keep a QT filter cartridge in your main tank or sump then you can cycle your QT the same as your main tank, and after the cycle is done, you will need to "feed" your QT to maintain some ammonia and nitrite for the bacteria. feeding your QT can be as simple as tossing in a few flakes of food a couple times a week... just something to decay and feed the bacteria.

Keep in mind that if you put live rock in your QT, and then you medicate your QT, you can never put that live rock back into the main tank, as it may leach copper into your tank from the medication (killing your inverts).

~mike

you NEED to ensure that your filter media is colonized with de-nitrifying bacteria BEFORE you add your fish to the QT.
Good catch, sorry I missed that.

I did a 50% water change today and I get home from work tonight to have the tank still at 0.50 PPM for Ammonia!

What should I do to get this situation under control? I am really thinking of just putting them into my display tank.

I have been in your situation and it is very frustrating. You have an uncylced small QT tank therefore you will be constantly trying to get the ammonia levels down.

If you do decide to put them in your main don't forget to acclimate them first.

In the future, get that QT fully cycled beforehand and you will have a much better experience. All in all QT is the way to go.

Good luck,
Pete R.

Back
Top Bottom