California Native Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I've been taking a break from the hobby as I just moved, but am now starting up a new tank. I've decided to take my 75 gallon tank and turn it into a Southern California Native Species Tanks. I have been looking through the far edges of the internet in search of information on the topic to little avail. I have now decided to just go onto the forums and hope someone else will have more information than I.

So I was looking into a California sting ray (aka round stingray) and have conflicting reports on the tank size necessary. One site I was looking at said I needed 70 gallons minimum whilst the other said 200! That is a very large difference and I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which was more accurate before I even consider this fish. Also if anyone has any ideas or advice on other fish to put in that would be great, anything would help.

Thanks!

They get about 10 inches wide from what I read so I'd say more in the range of 2-300 gallons. How do you plan to cool the water enough for these animals? Have you thought about filtration?

They get about 10 inches wide from what I read so I'd say more in the range of 2-300 gallons. How do you plan to cool the water enough for these animals? Have you thought about filtration?

I am building a 10 gallon canister filter and am planning on having a massive clean up crew of urchins, starfish, and other inverts that wouldn't be eaten, I'm also going to do weekly water changes (more often if need be)

I am going to do a bit more research and get back to all of you when I've don't so

When I think of a sting ray I think man hole cover that's the best way to understand how big they get.
live aquara says 180g tank I disagree maybe a tank 4 or 5 times that as these creatures can grow over 2 ft
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Round Stingray
they are considered expert only
it's also a good recommendation to have a 12inch angled splash guard around the top of the tank as they like to spill lots of water

Back
Top Bottom