Coral banded cat shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe you guys are seriously considering putting a shark in a cheap, wal-mart purchased, plastic pool. Listen to yourselves.

I'm getting a tiger. Think I can keep it in the backyard if I use one those corkscrew stakes and attack a leash/collar??

Fish Noob

Have you ever seen a set up? I have, and it was done perfectly. The guy had a nice sand bed on the bottom of it, and some nice rocks for them to swim around. He had a big sump on the side of the pool in one of the big metal horse troughs. He had it up for 2 years without a single issue.

Did I say it was the greatest Idea in the world? No, I did not! But it's a way better Idea than buying a small 180 gallon tank and sticking a poor cat shark into it.

Also, I have known a person that kept a tiger in their back yard. You don't have to believe me, but their was a farm that raised lions and tigers and bears (Oh My) in Terre Haute Indiana. Of course I think they were shut down because of the way he kept the animals. haha.

Than of course there is another place near Greensburg Indiana that keeps Grizzly Bears in their backyard.

So yea you can do it. So long as you don't ATTACK the poor cat with a leash. :-/

I currently own three sharks coral cat shark. White spotted bamboo shark and a Japanese leopard shark. The coral cat can live in a 180 gallon but probably would not love it. Mine stays hidden all day and only comes out at night and when he eats. He is over two feet and can fit through anything. As for the bamboo, I would not do any thing less than 5ft by 3ft. Mine is over 2ft has grown over a foot inside a year. The gallons do matter because the higher water amount the cleaner the water can stay. Lights don't matter Filtration is the most important thing. You need the following. The water needs to cycle at least 5-6 times per hour preferably more. The skimmer needs to be be double capacity of the water volume in the tank. Sump needs to be as large as possible and do wet dry setup. Lots of padding and floss to catch particles. Sharks are easy as hell regardless of what websites say as long as you the tank size and filtration are awesome. If you get cheap and cut corners on that part you will hate life. You will be doing water changes constantly and eventually the shark will die. I have a 7x7x3 tank and my sump is 6x3x2.5. Two pumps turning the water 8 times per hour. Aquac 1000 and coral vue 300 skimmers Uv filter. Wet dry setup with enough seachem matrix to filter 3,000 gallons of water. 500gallon denitrator. With that my nitrates are never lower than 20. I do a 12% water change every two weeks and on months with 5 weeks I add another water change. They have been in there for a little over a year or so and doing great.

Attachments

• image-2220350458.jpg
    image-2220350458.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2837256462.jpg
    image-2837256462.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 105
Gafights

I agree, but your tank is over 1000 gallons. Most people want to throw a shark into a 180 and call it a day. Some people even told you not to put a shark into anything smaller than 7000 gallon tank. Than you got the Shark police along with the Tang police that say don't house a shark at all.

Most people never see a fully grown Cat Shark, or Bamboo Shark. My 55 gallon tank is about the size of a fully grown Cat Shark or Bamboo Shark. That's 4 foot long, and that can't swim well in a 180 gallon tank. I don't know why websites say that they can live a full live in a 180 gallon tank. Live Aquira is usually really good about tank sizes, but they say a 4 foot shark can live a happy live in a tank that is only 6 feet long?

The pool idea is not the greatest, but it's not the worst idea. Your talking about a 10,000 gallon set up with proper filtration and heating and lighting. I have seen it done, but by the time your finish it still cost a lot to do right. So I personally never saw the point. You can only look down on it. I would build a custom tank for my Sharks if I ever decide to do so. It would be way longer than 6 foot, and only about 2 to 3 foot deep. I know what it takes, and that's why I have not done so yet. It cost too much, even if it's a DIY Project. I was just saying the pool makes a great swim space, but you still have to pay a lot of money for filter, sump, heating, lighting, sand, rock, and food.

So in the end, it's still not a great Idea, but it's better than a poor shark in a 180 gallon tank.

By the way, I love your tank. :p I am sure someone will be around to tell you to take your sharks out. lol

I love the pool idea. People can knock it there is a guy on the web I found who does it in his basement. He cut a viewing window into an above ground pool. It's actually not a bad idea if you do it right and it gives you tons of space.

My only real concern with the pool idea, is the flimsiness of some of the pools. You would really have to look for the right pool. I saw a metal one online, and I posted it here. The reviews said it was a good steady pool. I still think it's an ok Idea, but not the best. :p

Does anyone of pictures of this pool idea setup? I would love to see them

Back
Top Bottom