Feeding Red-Legged Hermit Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just started a 10 gallon FOWLR tank, and so far I have five red-legged hermit crabs and two turbo snails.

Since a couple of the live rocks brought in some green hair algae when I bought them, I haven't had an issue feeding anyone. But the algae has grown extremely scarce (there's only a couple of strands left), so I've decided to give them alternative food.

I know those creatures are mostly nocturnal so tonight I dropped in a couple of algae wafers for the snails (in hope that they actually find them). Will the crabs go for these too?

Mainly, my questions are:

1. Will red legged hermit crabs go for algae wafers when there's no other option?

2. Is there any better food I could be feeding them?

3. How can I make sure that they actually find the algae wafers so they simply don't pollute the water and cause an ammonia spike?

Thank you!

Any fish in the tank? they do not need fed. If you have a fish or 2 then they are eating scraps etc, they are detritivores. The snails will not survive most likely, turbos usually need a 30g tank or more to have enough algae to eat, ive never had luck with them eating prepared food.

As for the crabs, if you dont have fish then putting a pinch of flake food in the tank 2 times a week will be plenty, probably still too much.

There are no fish in the tank yet. The cycle finished last Saturday so so far, there are only those snails and crabs.

If they don't go for prepared foods, should I just remove the wafers before they spoil the water? They've been in there for forty-five minutes now, and I still have to check whether anyone has gone for them or not.

The crabs may go for them possibly but likely not the snails, id just remove them and put in a pinch of flake, once you get a fish in they will have all they need to eat. If algae is scarce may just wanna take the snails back, if they starve and die they can pollute the water in smaller tanks.

I removed the algae wafers for now because no one was going for them. Unfortunately some smaller particles got loose in the water so I'll have to monitor nitrates carefully. I have a question. Once the fish go in, will the crabs be fed by leftover fish food or fish excretion? And if they do eat the leftover food, should I just not remove any food my fish don't eat for the crabs? All help is much appreciated, thank you!

Bettafanatic said:
I removed the algae wafers for now because no one was going for them. Unfortunately some smaller particles got loose in the water so I'll have to monitor nitrates carefully. I have a question. Once the fish go in, will the crabs be fed by leftover fish food or fish excretion? And if they do eat the leftover food, should I just not remove any food my fish don't eat for the crabs? All help is much appreciated, thank you!

Once the fish go in the crabs will have plenty to eat as far as scraps and fish poo as well. As long as you are doing weekly partial water changes you will not have a nitrate problem from a small amount of feeding. Siphon out any detritus and uneaten food during your water changes.

My turbos have always either eaten whatever is in the tank, but also find the nori I put in for my tang, angel, trigger, and goby...yes, they all eat the same strip off the glass...taking turns. The trigger likes first dibs because it's crispy...the others including the 6 or so turbos...eat it all the time. My urchins much on it sometimes when they cruise by as well. We are putting in everyday, as their are so many takers. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom