Finally going for a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdude7287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461321287.829463.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461321298.813673.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461321311.564430.jpg
This is what purchased so far,and I'm waiting on my T5 light from coralife. I wanted to know what I should use for a filter. I'm getting live rock and I know live sand and rock are a natural filter. Just wanted to be extra careful and get a hob filter, also just wanted to know what people preferred. R/O systems I have seen them attach to people tanks and if I should do that or not Should I just get one for my water changes and such. But what R/O system is a good one to start out with Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is the tank sitting on an TV stand? Or is that an aquarium stand? The lack of bracing in the front suggests it is the former. If that is the case, I'd would look towards getting/building a tank stand.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461345385.482157.jpgmy light finally came in! Really looking forward to some feed back!

The stand is top of a sturdy dresser.I figured it being only 29 gallons it would be fine. The light is a two build light bar

You can probably grow softies under it.

Any advice on filter? Which one I should use

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461461043.340919.jpgfilled and running a HOB. And put a power head with some filter fabric on the bottom of it. To hopefully get this all clean pretty cloudy

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461518450.319808.jpgsand is somewhat settling after 24 hours

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461521163.783452.jpgslapped a bigger hob on the tank to see if I can get it cleared up a little faster with just filter pads in it I cut from a strip I had

You could also try adding some active carbon to help towards clarity The water ,also when adding the water for the first time it can take a number of days before it clears as it is quite common and sometimes even a week or more, also in my opinion is best to run all your filters including flows pumps as this will help The chemistry side of things stabilise much quicker.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461522588.170586.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461522599.321517.jpg
I put this in so I didn't add my pouches of carbon in yet and my protein skimmer is not on yet

Umm I was thinking after while I would get some crab and shrimp to eat through the sand. I have live rock in there you can't see them but probably only like 10-15 pounds I am getting more just wanted them for better filtration for now.

This also to could cause a bacteria bloom causing the cloudiness especially in the early stages I think you just need to walk away and let it settle for a week or so. Will be looking forward to seeing it when you start adding stock?

Yes from my own experience and in my opinion it's better to have everything up and running it will help towards stabilising things quicker. And then just sit back and be patient which is the hard part LOL.

Well I have 20-30gallon hob and then i put that 50-70 gallon hob I'm asking should I run the 50/70 for awhile or just take it off and let my 20-30 do the work. I have both running

I'd leave both running. I assume the powerhead is running as well.
I believe you should be aiming for about 45 lbs of LR total.
Will you be doing the raw shrimp cycle method?

I have 10-15 lbs right now will buy more LR soon. I have my 425 power head and I have and 50-60 gallon power head. Then those those two filters running tomorrow will be 48 hrs running. I will take the bigger power head out and then turn on my skimmer and put my carbon back in. I have never done salt water before. I have only read about people using sand sifters to clean the sands idk to much about it

Back
Top Bottom