FOWLR Set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeO88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Once all equipment is in boxes and you're staring at an empty fish bowl what would be the proper order of assembley? I've got a 150g coming in Saturday. If the rocks are all cured and I've got live sand should this be placed in right away? After the water? Thanks for all the advice so far, I feel pretty new asking all of these what Im sure seem ridiculous questions, though s'best to do everything right.

-Mike

WELCOME TO AA!!!

If the rocks are all cured and I've got live sand should this be placed in right away?

If they were shipped, they probably aren't really completely cured (there will be some die-off). I would add the water (since you have some time, you can even practice pre-mixing your water), sand and rock. That rock can possibly help your cycle.
You are not going to cycle with a live fish right?

I feel pretty new asking all of these what Im sure seem ridiculous questions, though s'best to do everything right.

Keep asking, your questions help me and others as well!

I dont plan on cycling with live fish, I can wait for the tank to cycle; however long that may be. How does one know when the tank is completley cycled? I read another post on here about avoiding a 'sandstorm' when putting sand in after the water has been in place....wouldnt it be easier to put the sand and rock in first?

-Mike

I would mix about 50 gallons of saltwater, add it to the tank. At this point you need to decide if you are going with a deep or shallow sand bed. Were you going to use baserock at all? If so, I would put a thin layer of sand, followed by the base rock, put in the rest of the sand, then the rest of the rock. By putting your rock on the firm bottom, you will prevent it from shifting in the sandbed. Some fish like to tunnel and can wreak havoc if the rock is placed on top of all the sand. While all this is going on, you can be mixing more of your saltwater. Add it when it is ready.

I would mix about 50 gallons of saltwater, add it to the tank. At this point you need to decide if you are going with a deep or shallow sand bed. Were you going to use baserock at all? If so, I would put a thin layer of sand, followed by the base rock, put in the rest of the sand, then the rest of the rock. By putting your rock on the firm bottom, you will prevent it from shifting in the sandbed. Some fish like to tunnel and can wreak havoc if the rock is placed on top of all the sand. While all this is going on, you can be mixing more of your saltwater. Add it when it is ready.

decide if you are going with a deep or shallow sand bed.
....What are the benefits to having a deep vrs shallow? Is it a matter of personal preference?
Were you going to use baserock at all?
.....Are there any benefits to having a base rock?

Thanks!
-Mike

How does one know when the tank is completley cycled?

Do you have a test kit? I'm not sure how much rock you are putting in there, but you could use a cocktail shrimp (raw, unseasoned) from your grocery store (this will produce the ammonia you need to start your cycle). Your cycle should go like this. Ammonia spike, nitrite spike, a decline in the ammonia and then a nitrate spike, with a decline in nitrite. Once your nitrates get to 0, your cycle will be complete. This generally takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks, but could be more or less.

I read another post on here about avoiding a 'sandstorm'

Since you don't have any living critters in the tank, I really wouldn't worry about this.

wouldnt it be easier to put the sand and rock in first?

You could try that, just add the water slowly, let me know how it turns out if you do it that way.

....Are there any benefits to having a base rock?

Yes, 1 - cheaper :)

wouldnt it be easier to put the sand and rock in first?

Yes it is way easier IMO. I tried both ways: sand first then water; and water first then sand. I liked sand first then water better :D. Add water slowly and try to pour the water onto the rock, not the sand

I went on good ole' Ebay to see some base rocks....Would it be best to get a live base rock (Just a big peice of LR I'm assuming) or one of the artificial ones that boast ''Perfect for aquascaping, make tunnels, hiding spots etc..) Thanks again!

-Mike

Base rock is not "live" but it will become LR. If money is an issue, get a little LR and a bunch of base rock. As for the fake stuff, it will become "LR" at least with the beneficial bacteria and other stuff. I would suggest, if you go that route, make sure that it doesn't have holes in the bottom, where water can get trapped and become stagnant. I remember a post that some one had a decoration that had a hole in the bottom. They moved it and the stagnant water fouled the tank.

IMO, don't get fake LR. They are either not porous, or have structure that won't support enough bacteria. If your LR is not dense enough (hole in the bottom), there isn't much place for anaerobic-bacteria colonize in.

Back
Top Bottom