FOWLR Tank - filling with water for first time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
Dumb Question for a newbie...All of the "How to start your saltwater tank" FAQ that I've seen on-line say that it's OK to fill your aquarium with fresh water initially and mix the salt directly in the tank since there's no fish in the tank. Buuuuuuuut, this sounds like a bad idea if I'm putting Live Rock in the tank. I assume that I should be mixing the saltwater outside of the tank and THEN adding it to the tank with the Live Rock.

OR

would it make more sense to add the sand, and then add freshwater, then add salt...THEN add my Live Rock?

This seems like it's an important detail, so I thought I better ask.

Just add the LR after the sand.

I'd fill the empty tank 3/4 of the way, add the salt, and turn on the powerheads ensuring the flow hits the bottom glass and salt sitting there. The remaining 1/4 fill is for water displacement after adding the rocks and sand. Of course move the powerheads so it doesn't disturb the sand after you finish mixing the salt.

I see nothing wrong with mixing the sand in an empty tank.

Doing dry aragonite sand? The so-called live sand with water in the bag is a rip-off IMO. Gotta rinse that dry stuff real good though.

The so-called live sand with water in the bag is a rip-off IMO.
I agree.
I premixed my water before I put it in my tank, it kind of gave me some practice in getting the salinity and temp right, before I added. I agree with austinsdad, as well, but have found sometimes the salt has "stuff" in it that does not dissolve.
If I were starting a new tank, I would premix the water, add the sand (like austinsdad said, if it is dry, rinse it well, to get rid of the dust), add the LR, softly shift it so that most of the bottom of the LR piece is resting against the bottom of the tank, then add the water, slowly.

When I first started nine years ago I made mine up in the tank. I waited a few days till everything checked out and then added sand and rock. Just leave some placement room that Austinsdad was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom